Spiritual Audacity: The Abraham Joshua Heschel Story
Film screening of the 2021 Wilbur Award winning Best Documentary in the category of Films and Video followed by a Webinar Panel Discussion
Martin Doblmeier, Journey Films
Susannah Heschel, Dartmouth College
Date: Monday, March 22, 2021
Time: 4 - 6pm EST
Co-sponsored with the Center for Christian-Jewish Learning.
Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel was one of the most remarkable and inspiring figures of the American 20th Century. He was a mentor to Martin Luther King, Jr and the entire Civil Rights Movement, a leading critic of the Vietnam War, a champion for Soviet Jews and a pioneer in the work of interfaith dialogue. This film combines archival photographs and rarely seen footage, as well as interviews with Civil Rights leaders Congressman John Lewis and Andrew Young, Pulitzer-prize winning historian Taylor Branch, public theologian Cornel West, Jewish Theological Seminary Chancellor Arnold Eisen, daughter Susannah Heschel and others. Also featured is artist Marc Chagall’s depiction of the Hebrew prophets, and Ilya’s Schor’s paintings and woodcuts of Hasidic life.
Following the film, we will have an intimate conversation with filmmaker Martin Doblmeier and Eli Black Professor of Jewish Studies at Dartmouth College Susannah Heschel.
· Kasimow, Harold, ed. Abraham Joshua Heschel Today: Voices from Warsaw and Jerusalem. Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock, 2020.
· Heschel, Abraham Joshua. God in Search of Man: A Philosophy of Judaism. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 1976.
· Heschel, Abraham Joshua. The Sabbath. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2005.
· Heschel, Abraham Joshua. Moral Grandeur and Spiritual Audacity. Edited by Susannah Heschel. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 1996.
· Heschel, Abraham Joshua. Thunder in the Soul: To Be Known by God. Edited by Robert Erlewine and Susannah Heschel. New York: Plough Publishing House, 2021.
· Michelson, Richard. As Good as Anybody: Martin Luther King, Jr. and Abraham Joshua Heschel’s Amazing March Toward Freedom. New York: Dragonfly Books, 2008.
· Kaplan, Edward K. Spiritual Radical: Abraham Joshua Heschel in America, 1940-1972. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press, 2007.
Eetta Prince-Gibson explores in her recent Haaretz article the words of Susannah Heschel and Bernice King, who recently discussed the legacy of their fathers (Abraham Joshua Heschel and Martin Luther King, Jr.) and how that legacy challenges us to continue to unfinished work.