Three Pieces of Advice to President Biden from Catholics in the Public Square
Webinar Panel Discussion
E.J. Dionne, Brookings Institution
Massimo Faggioli, Villanova University
Bishop Robert McElroy, Archdiocese of San Diego
Amy Uelmen, Georgetown Law
Date: Thursday, March 4, 2021
Time: 3 - 4pm EST
Bishop Robert McElroy, E.J. Dionne, Massimo Faggioli, and Amy Uelmen will each offer three pieces of advice for President Joseph Biden on how to deal with the U.S. bishops, the abortion issue, Hispanic Catholics in the U.S., and a range of other social and political issues.
· Faggioli, Massimo. Joe Biden and Catholicism in the United States. New London, CT: Bayard, Inc., 2021.
· Stone, Ken. “Bishop McElroy Wants Catholic Church to be ‘Proud Collaborators’ with Biden.” Times of San Diego. November 24, 2020. https://timesofsandiego.com/life/2020/11/24/bishop-mcelroy-wants-catholic-church-to-be-proud-collaborators-with-biden/.
· Fraga, Brian. “Bishop McElroy: Denial of Communion to pro-choice politicians by bishops’ conference would be ‘destructive.’” Our Sunday Visitor. February 1, 2021. https://www.osvnews.com/2021/02/01/bishop-mcelroy-denial-of-communion-to-pro-choice-politicians-by-bishops-conference-would-be-destructive/.
· Dionne, E.J. “The Biden they didn’t expect.” The Chippewa Herald. January 18, 2021. https://chippewa.com/opinion/columnists/e-j-dionne-the-biden-they-didnt-expect/article_7e719d41-b4bf-5a12-a871-815f9979e9bf.html.
· Dionne, E.J. “Radical, Moderate, and Necessary: American Politics & Social Catholicism.” Commonweal. September 30, 2020. https://www.commonwealmagazine.org/radical-moderate-and-necessary.
· Dionne, E.J. “Opinion: Joe Biden and the struggle for American Catholicism.” The Washington Post. January 27, 2021. https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/joe-biden-and-the-struggle-for-american-catholicism/2021/01/27/2ea5c278-60df-11eb-9430-e7c77b5b0297_story.html.
· Faggioli, Massimo. “What Joe Biden (and all American Catholics) owe Jesuit John Courtney Murray.” America. January 19, 2021. https://www.americamagazine.org/faith/2021/01/19/joe-biden-john-courtney-murray-who-was-239757.
· Faggioli, Massimo. “A Reset With Rome, But Not at Home: The Vatican welcomes a Biden presidency. Do the bishops?” Commonweal. November 23, 2020. https://www.commonwealmagazine.org/reset-rome-not-home.
In his recent article in the New Yorker, Paul Elie sees the comparisons drawn between Pope Francis and Joe Biden as indicating one way that Joe Biden can heal the nation following the polarizing presidency of his predecessor.