The one- and two-semester in-residence fellowship appointments seek to facilitate the completion and/or publication of academic work related to the Society of Jesus. Preference will be given to applications that propose publication projects for the Institute of Jesuit Sources and IJS Studies during their fellowship at the Institute. Applications are now welcomed from scholars in the fields of history, spirituality, and pedagogy, among others. The submission deadline is January 17, 2023.
The Institute offers two types of in-residence fellowships: Institute Fellowships, a year-long appointment (September-May), and Senior Research Fellowships, a semester-long appointment.
The year-long fellowship includes a stipend of $20,000, while the semester-long fellowship offers a stipend of $12,000. Additional support for research-related travel during the residency may be available. The Institute also provides furnished housing as part of both fellowships. Please contact the Institute with any questions, and please indicate in your application’s statement of purpose if you would require special arrangements for your housing.
Fellowships include personal office space at the Institute and access to the collections in the University’s libraries and those of the colleges and universities in the Boston consortium. Candidates are encouraged to consult the extensive listings of Jesuitica holdings at Boston College prior to submitting their applications. Preference will be given to applications that propose publication projects for the Institute of Jesuit Sources and IJS Studies during their fellowship at the Institute.
While in residence at the Institute, fellows will make one presentation of their work each semester. They are encouraged to collaborate with the Institute’s initiatives and programming and with the Institute’s Research Scholars. They are also expected to engage with the wider academic community by attending events and meeting with the University’s faculty members and other visiting scholars. The fellowships are not academic appointments and have no teaching responsibilities.
- Curriculum vitae
- A sample of scholarly work of no more than 30 pages
- Statement of Purpose of 1,500-2,000 words. This statement should describe the project, its scholastic contributions, and how it relates to existing works (with authors, titles, and dates). Also, it should explain the ways in which the fellowship and being in residence at the Institute would assist with the project.
- Please indicate if you would require special housing accommodations and if your project already has a publisher.
- Official transcript (for applicants enrolled in school)
- Lastly, two letters in support of an application should be emailed directly to the Institute by the recommenders.
If necessary, application materials may be mailed to:
Institute for Advanced Jesuit Studies
Attn: Fellowship Programs
140 Commonwealth Avenue
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
Applications are due January 17, 2023, and candidates will be notified of decisions by February 1, 2023. Questions can be directed to the Institute (firstname.lastname@example.org, with “fellowship” as the subject).