Frequently Asked Questions
The app can be downloaded on the iOS App Store or the Google Play Store on your mobile device.
This app provides a simple way to go on a virtual spiritual pilgrimage, following the major themes and locations of the pilgrim Ignatius, along with a community of pilgrims. There is an emphasis on growth of mind, body, and soul. The app has four components which consist of the following:
- "Journey" tab has a weekly video on the location and theme and weekly readings from the biography and autobiography of St. Ignatius. In addition, information about the high school whose students provided the daily reflection will be posted here.
- "Today" tab has daily activity which consists of the following:
- Soul: daily verse from Scripture to contemplate
- Body: tracking your daily and weekly steps on the pilgrimage
- Mind: daily reading from a Jesuit Source
- Witness: daily reflection by Cristo Rey and Jesuit high school students on the week's theme
- Examen: a guided audio Examen
- "Community" guestbook tab is a social forum where app users can interact and share reflections, quotes, pictures, insights, etc., of a spiritual dimension. This tab also features a prayer wall where pilgrims can post prayers and send prayers to others.
- "Discover" tab will feature the events, content, and programming of C21, IAJS, and Roche, related to the pilgrimage, all of which pilgrims will be able to join and access virtually.
There is no defined time commitment. The daily content within the app can be completed easily in 10-15 minutes each day. We encourage pilgrims to spend at least 15 minutes in daily prayer, 15 minutes of intellectual/spiritual reading, and 30 minutes of physical activity (prayer and physical activity can be achieved together through “prayer walks”).
There is no cost. We do recommend purchasing the books that are source material for much of the pilgrimage content, which will provide greater depth to your pilgrimage. Your support is greatly appreciated.
Yes. We strongly encourage pilgrims to complete this pilgrimage with a small group. Where possible, we encourage you to form a group of your friends, or from your parish, school, or any other group for faith sharing. The guestbook journal reflections can be used as a starting point for reflection.
The pilgrimage can be done asychronously at any time. However, we encourage participants to form a small group and designate a shared start date for faith sharing. We recommend starting the pilgrimage on a Sunday.
At a minimum, we recommend that small groups meet virtually (or in person, where possible) biweekly for about an hour, for small group faith sharing. An ideal size for small groups is around 6 people, though this may vary depending on certain circumstances. It is up to each group to determine when to meet and via which platform (e.g. Zoom, Google Hangouts, etc.). See our "Small Group Best Pratices" sheet below for additional recommendations.
No, the books are not mandatory, though we do suggest them for reference and for further depth into St. Ignatius and Ignatian spirituality and history.
The Manresa retreat is a 12-week virtual retreat experience that can be done at any time. For those who would like a more structured retreat based on the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius, more details on the Manresa Retreat can be found here.
We hope that many groups will join this pilgrimage to spark their spiritual life. For any group that would like to do this together, we recommend simply that each individual download the app, purchase the pilgrimage books where applicable/desired, and, at a minimum, meet biweekly for small group faith sharing.
The new version of the app is now available for download at the iOS App Store and on Google Play in mid-March, which can be downloaded and installed on most iOS and Android mobile devices and tablets.
We've found that some users who are signed into their organization's Gmail accounts, won't have access to view anything in the Google Play Store. This may be due to the access settings of your organization if they utilize a Google-based system. Please try logging out of your organizational Gmail account in the Google Play Store and signing in to a different account to download the app on your Android device.
For further problems and issues, please see the Google Play Store support page.