The Certificate in Jesuit Studies program presents a variety of opportunities for participants to develop a deep, informed understanding of the spirituality, history, pedagogy, leadership methods, and other aspects associated with the Society of Jesus and its apostolates.
Components of the program include:
The three-credit immersion course through Spain and Italy examines the foundation of the Society of Jesus. Online readings and discussions occur before the participants trace the footsteps of the early Jesuits. Primary sources and seminars inform the daily presentations and writings.
The immersion trip occurs once each summer. An itinerary and other details for the 2020 course will be released soon. Please contact the Institute for further information (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The Institute offers three-credit online courses during the academic year. Participants pursuing a Certificate in Jesuit Studies may enroll in any course during the program. Individuals outside of the program may apply to enroll in the courses. More information about these courses is available online.
Participants in the Certificate program may also enroll in relevant three-credit courses offered on the campus of Boston College. Courses are regularly offered in spirituality, history, and pedagogy during the academic year and the summer semester. Please contact the Institute for further information (email@example.com).
The program culminates with a three-credit, hybrid course. Preliminary online readings and discussions explore contemporary leadership strategies. The course ends with a week-long seminar at Boston College. Participants engage with each other and with visiting leaders to examine the distinctiveness of Jesuit leadership. The first leadership seminar course will begin online in the spring of 2021, and the week-long seminar will take place in July 2021.
For those participants who wish to make a retreat as part of their Certificate experience, the Institute will help facilitate an opportunity to make a weekend-long silent retreat based on the Spiritual Exercises at one of the Jesuit retreat houses in the United States.
Details about the program
- Enrollment in a course does not oblige the participant from completing the additional courses required for a Certificate in Jesuit Studies. Only those earning 15 credits (or more), however, will receive a Certificate in Jesuit Studies. Participants may set their own pace for completing the program. They must participate in the leadership seminar.
- Enrollment in the program’s various components is limited, especially in the immersion travel and leadership seminar.
- Individuals must apply to participate in each aspect of the program. Those already pursuing the Certificate will receive preferential enrollment in the courses.
- Tuition costs associated with courses are set each year by the Trustees of Boston College and are subject to yearly increases.
- Financial assistance may be available and is determined by the Institute on a case-by-case basis.