Recognize Faculty and Staff at the Breakfast of Champions
The Illumination Awards honor staff and faculty who have provided a spark for students to discern their career interests and incorporate their goals into a broader sense of living a life of meaning and impact. Award recipients are recognized bi-annually at the Breakfast of Champions.
How to Nominate
Examples of how an Illuminator may have helped a student include:
- Explore career options or research a specific career field
- Connect students with alumni or other professionals in their field(s) of interest to explore interests or pursue a job/internship
- Gain hands-on experience through a project, research, internship, or other experiential learning activity that will translate to a future career
- Prepare for job or internship interviews
- Provide graduate school advice and/or application support
- Develop professional or technical skills needed in the workplace
- Connect with career resources or programs at Boston College or beyond
- Supported their pursuit of a career goal
In addition, Illuminators demonstrate the following attributes that align with the Career Center’s values:
Hear from a Student
"I decided to nominate my supervisor for an Illumination Award because I wanted to formally thank her and recognize her for supporting and inspiring me. Her excellence in her own work and her dedication to uplifting me has inspired me greatly and set the example of how I hope to be as an aspiring professional. I know that I would not be where I am today without the support of my supervisor, so I was thrilled about the opportunity to nominate her for an Illumination Award so that she could get the recognition she deserves."
Hear from Staff
“Being nominated for the illumination award was a humbling experience for me personally as I took time to reflect on how many students I have worked with the past 7 years, across the gamut, from prospective freshmen, to current undergrads, and also with numerous alumni, in my role as Assistant Director in the Pre-Health Program. Our entire team is so dedicated to helping each student discern their path forward and to discover the best fit toward a future career which embraces their interests, talents, and attributes."
Hear from Faculty
"I feel tremendously honored to participate in the lives of my students as they launch into their work in this world. It does not feel like labor to be joined to these amazing people and to witness where they are being planted. It brings me great joy and deep meaning to be a part of their journeys. So, when I received this award, it took me by surprise. That they thought to express their gratitude through this recognition means more to me than I can express."
- Students, recent alums (up to 2 years post-grad), faculty, and staff will be able to nominate faculty/staff
- Students and recent alums can nominate more than one faculty or staff member.
- The nomination form requires:
- First name, last name, and email address of the nominator.
- Whether or not the nominator wishes to share their identity with their nominee(s) or remain anonymous.
- Nominee’s role on campus (faculty or staff), first name, last name, email, department, job title, what topic(s) they helped their nominator with (see list above).
- A paragraph that provides specific examples of the impact the Illuminator had on the nominator’s career decisions and development (e.g. What has this individual done to mentor you through your decision-making, search, and/or graduate school planning process?). Nominators will be asked to indicate if/how their nominee has demonstrated the Career Center’s shared values of student-centered approach, DEI, and sense of possibility.
- Note: These excerpts will be shared with each nominee.
- Career Center leadership will review all nominations and determine which faculty and staff will receive this award.
Nomination Review Criteria
- Is the nominee eligible (e.g. a faculty or staff member who works in a non-career services role within or beyond the BC Career Center)?
- Has the nominator provided clear evidence that the nominee helped them with their career development and planning?
- Has the nominator provided clear evidence that the nominee demonstrated a student-centered approach, a focus on DEI, or a sense of possibility?
How to Submit
- After reviewing all nominations and selecting the award recipients, the Career Center will notify via email the nominee of their recognition and invite them to the recognition event towards the end of the spring semester.