Get Ready for 2022!
Join our Winter Break Challenge to jumpstart your search before spring. A majority of employers will be hiring in the spring, so winter break is a great time to start preparing! We have put together a checklist of items to help you use this time to your advantage. Completing the challenge will ensure you are in a great position to find a post-grad job or summer internship (and calm some of your anxieties in the process).
Complete the ChallengePrint
To complete the Winter Break Challenge, finish all activities in dark blue and one activity in light blue before the first day of spring semester on January 18. Additional activities in light blue are bonus activities to keep the momentum going. The more you do, the more confident and prepared you will be for your spring job or internship search!
Complete Your Handshake Profile
Complete your Handshake profile, including work experience, courses, extracurricular activities, and more. Add a photo and summary to help your profile stand out. If you’ve never logged in to Handshake, activate your account by logging in to the platform using your Agora username and password.
- Follow at least 5 employers on Handshake.
- Register to attend a spring semester career event such as a panel, workshop, or information session.
- Search for jobs or internships that are of interest to you. Take note of the deadlines and start to apply!
Want more? Take the 10-Day Handshake Profile Challenge.
Sign Up for a Career Cluster(s)
To sign up for a career cluster(s) and receive newsletters related to your interests, update your career interests in Handshake. By updating your interests, not only will you receive updates and resources from our coaches, you’ll be 5x more likely to hear from relevant employers directly about open positions and upcoming events.
We have six different industry-focused career clusters to choose from. Read through the industries that fall within each career cluster to see which appeals to you.
- Business, Consulting, and Finance
- Communication, Arts, and Media
- Education, Nonprofit, and Social Service
- Government, Law, and Public Policy
- Healthcare and Nursing
- Science, Technology, and Engineering
Are you interested in more than two clusters or unsure of your career interests? That's ok! We recommend making an appointment in January with one of our Exploration coaches to get started.
Connect with BC Alumni on Eagle Exchange
Don't know what to say in your initial outreach message? Eagle Exchange provides you with templates.
- Log in to Eagle Exchange
- Find an alum with whom you are interested in talking. You can browse your recommended connections or explore the community.
- Click 'Message' or, if in their profile, 'Let's Connect'.
- Select a template message to edit or write your own outreach message. Click 'Send'. Note: you may also click 'Request a Meeting' below the message box to schedule time to meet. If you do this, also be sure to send a message to provide context to your meeting request.
- Repeat the steps above at least 1-2 more times!
Prepare for the conversation using this list of questions or feel free to come up with your own questions (but remember to never ask directly for a job or interview).
Update Your Resume
Develop a Search Plan
Depending on where you are in your career discernment and planning, develop your own personalized exploration plan or job/internship search plan to set goals and deadlines for yourself throughout the semester.
Need help with your plan? Schedule time to meet with a career coach in January or talk to a trusted mentor, advisor, friend, or family member.
Create or Update Your LinkedIn Profile
Start preparing for your interviews and practice articulating your skills through the Big Interview platform.
- Go to BC’s Big Interview page. Click 'Register' in the top right corner or sign in if you have previously registered. Use your BC email address to create a free account
- Review interview resources, tips, and videos in the platform if you choose
- Click on ‘Practice’ at the top to find interview questions that you’d like to practice answering.
- Share your recording with someone (your choice) for feedback. This could be a mentor, a supervisor, a family member, a friend or someone else who will provide you with both positive and constructive feedback.
- Use the AI feature for immediate feedback and suggestions on how to improve. This tool tracks and analyzes your use of “filler” words, rate of speech, eye contact, vocabulary, and more.
- Review and consider the feedback you receive.
Meet with a Career Coach
Our coaches will be available during the month of January. Our office will re-open for appointments on Monday, January 3. Schedule a career coaching appointment in Handshake if you have questions about your search plan or feel stuck.
Complete a Project
Complete a project on Forage to build some concrete career skills. Through the Forage platform, you can sign up for a 5-6 hour project where you are given a hypothetical set of tasks that an employee would expect to complete on a given work day. You will gain valuable career skills and build your resume.
Join a Group Discussion on Eagle Exchange
Join one or more Eagle Exchange groups based on your career interests or personal identities. Post your own discussion questions to the group and/or respond to other questions that have been posted in the group to learn from and share your experiences with the community.
Build an Online Portfolio
Review Your Online Presence
Save the Date
Our Spring Career and Internship Fair will be held on Thursday, February 17. Fairs are a great opportunity to make connections with employers and learn about job and internship opportunities. Completing the Winter Break Challenge activities will help you prepare for the fair.