Who is eligible to apply?
- Who is eligible to apply for semester or academic year EIF grants? Open to all undergraduates who have been identified by the BC Financial Aid office as having "financial need".
- Who is eligible to apply for summer EIF grants? Open to all rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors (graduating in 2026, 2025, or 2024) who have been identified by the BC Financial Aid office as having "financial need".
- Students must be in good academic standing with the university and must be matriculated in both the spring semester before and fall semester after the internship (seniors graduating in May 2024 are ineligible). Students studying abroad are considered actively enrolled.
What is the difference between Deadline 1, Deadline 2, and Deadline 3?
Deadline 1 provides an opportunity for students to potentially secure funding for their unpaid internship if they obtain their internship early on in the spring semester. If you apply and are not awarded the fellowship in the Deadline 1 process, you cannot re-apply to another deadline process. Applicants who do not submit complete applications (e.g. missing a resume, etc.) by Deadline 1 will be automatically folded into the Deadline 2 applicant pool, so long as they submit all outstanding documents.
Can I apply to more than one Summer deadline?
No, you can only apply to one summer deadline.
How are applications scored?
Students will be screened and chosen to receive the fellowship based upon the following criteria:
- Strength and quality of responses to application questions
- Strength and quality of resume
- Strength and quality of EIF supervisor verification form from hiring organization detailing supervisor's name and learning goals, responsibilities, timeline of experience, number of hours
- While a letter of recommendation is not required, a strong letter of recommendation can add important information about your qualities and your accomplishments. We strongly recommend you submit a letter of recommendation from a BC faculty member, staff member, or former/current work supervisor
How much funding will I receive?
The amount of funding depends upon the level of financial need as determined by the Office of Financial Aid and the total hours of the internship. See the Overview section above for details.
Can I Receive More Than One EIF Fellowship?
- Yes, if you have already received an EIF fellowship, you can apply for another. However, priority will be given to students who have not previously received an EIF fellowship. In addition, grants are available only until funding runs out for that year.
- If you’ve previously worked at the same site for which you are currently applying for funding, you must clearly explain how the responsibilities of this new internship position are significantly different from your previous position.
- If you are looking to extend your funding past the season you originally applied for, that may be possible, if funds are available. Please contact Peter Hunt, firstname.lastname@example.org, to have a discussion about your situation.
What if I am not awarded the Eagle Intern Fellowship? Are there still options to secure funding?
Yes, but they will not be through the Career Center. There are several ways to proceed.
- Research summer opportunities offered by different offices across campus that offer forms of unpaid internship funding:
- Research external funding opportunities at scholarship repositories like FastWeb and Unigo. Connect with academic departments, faculty, student organization, and your professional network to explore alternative funding sources.
- Montserrat students may want to contact the Montserrat Coalition about Frontier Fellowships
What if I don't have an internship secured by the deadline?
We do not accept partial or late applications. While we would love to extend the deadline even further, we know students who have secured an internship are waiting to find out if they have received funding before accepting their internship offer. Many employers are willing to expedite their decision-making process if they are aware that you are applying for funding from Boston College. You should follow up with the organization to indicate your timeline.
Please note: All application materials must be submitted by the deadline, regardless of circumstances. Applicants who upload “place-holder” offer letters or letters of recommendation in order to submit the actual documents after the deadline will not have their applications considered. It is up to you to ensure that you and your internship organization are able to provide all necessary materials on time.
What if I am studying abroad in the spring?
Students who are living abroad in spring 2024 are welcome to apply. The application process is all online through MyBC and allows flexibility of the student’s geographic location. If you are selected as an Eagle Fellow, we will work with you to obtain your pre-internship information and your disbursement. You can log into your Handshake account and schedule a virtual career coaching appointment with any specific questions.
What does a successful application look like?
A successful application will show that the applicant has reflected on how this internship opportunity will allow them to grow and better understand their professional skills and their career interests. Successful applications will also be clear: they will articulate the importance of their internship to their career goals and discernment and the skills they will develop during the internship. Successful applications will also have a strong resume, a strong letter of recommendation, and a clear offer letter from the organization.
Who can write my letter of recommendation if I choose to submit one?
Generally, a letter of recommendation should be a person who can speak to your skills, interests and experience, which may include an employer or supervisor, faculty or staff. Letters of recommendation should not be written by a peer (i.e. another undergraduate student) or a member of the applicant’s family.
Can Career Center staff provide assistance on the Eagle Intern Fellowship application?
Yes, we are here to help! If you have any remaining questions please schedule a career coaching appointment, visit us during drop-ins hours, or email email@example.com for any further assistance.