BC has site licenses for student and faculty home use for the research software listed on this page. For use on a BC-owned computer, please contact your TC to schedule a time to install the software.
Many of the applications on this page are also available on the BC Application Server, which means you don't have to download and install them on your personal computer.
Boston College has a site license for ArcGIS. Students and faculty may download and install it on their computers. Each installation of ArcGIS requires an authorization file. Instructions to obtain the required authorization file are given in the PDF below.
Boston College has a site license for Mathematica or you can use Mathematica on the BC Application Server (https://bcapps.bc.edu). Students and faculty may install Mathematica on their computers.
Download from the Wolfram Portal
The most efficient way of installing Mathematica is to follow the instructions on downloading the software and obtaining the activation key directly from a Wolfram portal from the link buttons below. Note: Downloading Mathematica will progress much more quickly using a wired internet connection.
Boston College has a site license for Matlab or you can use MATLAB on the BC Application Server (https://bcapps.bc.edu). Students and faculty may download and install it on their computers.
SAS is an integrated collection of quantitative analysis, and data management and warehousing software. It is used both in academic research, academic administration, and in private industry (across disciplines).
- Licensed for teaching and research use by BC Faculty and Staff.
- Licenses for administrative purposes are obtained individually through ITS Research Services.
- Available on the BC Application Server: https://bcapps.bc.edu
- Installed on computers in the BC Libraries Digital Studio (O'Neill 205), various departmental computer labs, and on the Linux Research Cluster (Scorpio).
Faculty and Staff: Contact your Technology Consultant to obtain this software title.
SPSS (IBM SPSS Statistics)
Students are not able to install SPSS through BC. You can use IBM SPSS on the BC Application Server (https://bcapps.bc.edu). Important: bcapps.bc.edu is not a good place to use SPSS with sensitive or secure data. If you have sensitive or secure data and are using SPSS, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss how best to accommodate you needs.
Other Student Options
- Students can access SPSS for academic use on BC-owned computers, such as computers in offices and labs.
- For students who want SPSS on their home computer, they can lease SPSS for 12 months for less than $100 from www.onthehub.com/spss.
Faculty BC-Owned Computers
BC has licenses for teaching and non-commercial academic research for use by BC faculty on BC-owned computers. If you would like SPSS installed on your BC-owned computer, please contact your TC (Technology Consultant).
Faculty Home Computers
There are a limited number of licenses available for faculty home computers. Instructions on how to download and install IBM SPSS are below.
- Before you download, please contact ITSadmin@bc.edu for the current license keys.
- If you have questions, please contact email@example.com.
- For assistance installing this software, please contact the Help Center at firstname.lastname@example.org, 617-552-HELP (4357), or visit the Walk-In Help Desk in O'Neill 316.