Boston College requires all faculty, staff, and students to use antivirus software on their computers to help protect them from viruses, malware, ransomware, and other threats.
Student or Personal Computers
Boston College requires all students, faculty, and staff to use antivirus software on their personal computers (not owned by BC). If you do not already have virus protection, BC recommends installing the free version of Sophos Home (Mac & Windows). If you want Sophos Home, follow the steps below:
- Uninstall other antivirus software (Windows Defender will be disabled automatically when you install Sophos Home).
- Visit the Sophos Home website, and follow the prompts to create a Sophos Home account.
- After installation, a popup will offer an upgrade to Sophos Home Premium at an additional cost (you can disable the popup if it bothers you).
BC-provided Faculty/Staff Computers
Boston College requires Sophos Intercept X Endpoint Protection (referred to as Sophos Endpoint) for BC-owned Mac & Windows computers. This enhanced antivirus and malware protection service is another step in the University’s efforts to continue to improve security and safeguard data.
Sophos Endpoint will periodically do a full scan of your computer &
will automatically be updated with new software updates, when available.
Faculty & Staff: Contact your TC to obtain Sophos Intercept X Endpoint Protection for your BC-owned computer.
When available, Sophos Endpoint software will be automatically updated. Most of the time, you probably will not notice the update is happening. On Windows computers, you may get a notification that virus protection is turned off (only for a minute while the install is in process). Once the update is complete, you will be protected again with Sophos Endpoint.
- Sophos Endpoint may identify more viruses than your previous antivirus software, so you may receive notifications about potential threats that were undetected before.
- Sophos Endpoint may misidentify something as a virus, and delete it. If you believe something was misidentified as a virus, contact your TC or the BC Help Center at 617-552-HELP (4357) or email@example.com.
Need to Uninstall Sophos Endpoint?
If you need to unistall Sophos Endpoint, you must contact the Help Center at 617-552-HELP (4357) or firstname.lastname@example.org before you can uninstall the software.
What are symptoms of a computer virus?
- Unusual messages or displays on your monitor.
- Unusual sounds or music played at random times.
- Your system has less available memory than usual.
- A disk or volume name has changed.
- Programs or files are suddenly missing.
- Unknown programs or files are created.
- Some of your files become corrupted or suddenly do not work properly.
If you think your computer has a virus infection:
If you need help getting rid of a virus:
- Contact the Help Center at 617-552-HELP (4357) or email@example.com.
- Visit the Walk-In Help Desk in O'Neill 316.
- Faculty and Staff: Contact your Technology Consultant (TC).