Admitted Students

Welcome, Admitted Students

Welcome to the Boston College School of Social Work, and congratulations on your acceptance. You’re joining an esteemed academic community devoted to pioneering social work education, research, and practice that improves the lives of the most vulnerable. We’re committed to supporting your success—in school and beyond.



Real-World Experience

Spend time in the field, working with real people. Our robust field placements allow you to put your learnings into practice, gain hands-on training, and form valuable relationships.

Learn More


World-Class Research

Join a dynamic collection of scholars, clinicians, scientists, and leaders from a variety of industries—all dedicated to improving the lives of the most vulnerable.

Learn More


Lifelong Community

Our students, faculty, and alumni share a steadfast commitment to the Common Good, with an emphasis on promoting equity, justice, and inclusion through social work.

Learn More

New Student Checklist


Take the following steps to enroll and matriculate at BCSSW. 

Inform Us of Your Enrollment Decision

Step 1

We hope very much that you will be matriculating at BCSSW. At the time of acceptance, we require a NON-REFUNDABLE $200 deposit to reserve your place in the program. Please submit your deposit within three weeks of the receipt of your acceptance letter. The deposit will be credited to your first semester’s tuition.

To inform us of your enrollment decision, please complete the following steps:

  1. Update the SSW Admission Response Form.
  2. Click the link to submit payment of your deposit.

Please note: Full-time Boston College employees and international students are not required to submit a deposit; however we ask that they complete the online deposit form for our records.

Begin the Financial Aid Process

Step 2

(Upon Acceptance/Deposit)

Boston College School of Social Work offers a wide range of scholarships, stipends, and assistantships, which all applicants are considered for during the admission process; no additional application is required.

To apply for federal aid or additional support from the University, please visit the Office of Student Services' website for a step-by-step guide on graduate financial aid, including information on completing the FAFSA.

For the 2021-2022 year, graduate students who are applying for federal financial aid must complete the new Graduate Student (Non-Law) Enrollment Form. The form is now available on our website Go to "Applying for Aid" to get started. 

We can also help you identify outside sources for scholarships, fellowships, and grants (BC password required), as well as assistantships and employment opportunities.

Q: When will financial aid package information become available to students?
 Any questions regarding your financial aid package can be directed to the BC Office of Student Services. You can reach their general office at or 617.552.3300. Students are assigned a counselor according to the first letter of their last name. If they have specific questions, we encourage MSW students to connect with Marsia Hill Kreaime ( if their last name begins with G-R or Elaine Holloman ( if their last name begins with A-F, S-Z.

Q: Where can I find my Financial Aid Key?
 As an admitted student, you can locate your individual Financial Aid Key on your application status page. The Financial Aid Key is located on the right hand side of the page, under "Access for Additional Services." There, you will also find your BC Username and Eagle ID number, which you will need to log into additional BC services.

Complete Field Education Application

Step 3

(Upon Acceptance/Deposit)

NOTE: Advanced Standing students matriculating in June and Two-Year Students should complete the Field Education Application upon acceptance and deposit. Advanced Standing students matriculating in January will submit their applications in early fall.


  1. Before you begin, please have an electronic copy of your latest resume in Microsoft Word accessible.
  2. Review the Field Placement Information Sheet (PDF), which includes important considerations about the matching process and agency assignments. This sheet is also posted on the first page of the application.
  3. Log in to the application (see “Begin the Field Placement Application” link below). Answer all questions in the application, upload your resume, and click "Submit" before you log out or your answers will be lost.
  4. After you finish and submit the form, you will be e-mailed a confirmation receipt.
  5. You may log back in to your application to edit and/or upload a new resume.

As part of the placement process, your resume will be provided to agency personnel to review your experience and qualifications before a placement interview is scheduled.

For more information, visit our Field Education page. If you have questions, please contact the Field Education department at or 617-552-4027.

Begin the Field Placement Application

Note: Please see the timeline for when the field application will be available for your program:

Summer Advanced Standing Students: February 1

Two-Year Students: March 1

Three-Year Students: You will receive notification from the field education department on when to begin.

Spring Advanced Standing Students: October 1

Register for Classes

Step 4

The New MSW Students Registration Guide has been developed to assist you with fall registration and planning ahead for the spring semester. Fall registration for new two- and three-year students will open on Monday, June 7, at 9 a.m. New advanced standing students should reference the guide for registration information.

View the Registration Guide     

Fall 2021 Course Schedule 

Send Official Transcripts

Step 5

Official copies of all transcripts reviewed for admission must be submitted upon acceptance/matriculation no later than July 1.

Official transcripts may be sent electronically or in hard copy. Hard copy official transcripts must be in signed/sealed envelopes from each institution. Electronic transcripts submitted via document management services such as Scrip-Safe may be sent to All documents in languages other than English should include a certified English translation in addition to the original language document.

Accepted applicants may send official transcripts to:

Boston College School of Social Work
McGuinn Hall, Admissions 221
140 Commonwealth Ave.
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467

Submit Health and Immunizations Forms

Step 6

Due 30 days before the start of classes

In order to begin your studies at BCSSW, your health history and immunization records are required. 

Submit Health History and Immunization Forms

Review New Student FAQs

Step 7

New Students FAQs cover a range of topics related to getting started at Boston College and the School of Social Work, from student ID cards to parking and transportation.

When is new student orientation? 
You are invited to attend one of the following three virtual orientation sessions for new students. The invitation to register for one of the sessions will be sent to your BC email address. 

Tuesday, August 24 • 6:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.

Wednesday, August 25 • 3:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Tuesday, August 31 • 9:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.

What is my Eagle-One card and how do I obtain it?
The Eagle-One Card is a multipurpose identification and debit account card that is the official ID card of Boston College. It will be accepted and function at most University-run facilities throughout your stay at Boston College. Students must keep this card available at all times in order to obtain access to residence halls, computer labs, libraries, and the Flynn Recreation Complex.

All University students, staff and faculty (and their spouses, if desired) are issued Eagle-One Cards through the Office of Student Services. Proof of identification such as a driver's license or passport must be presented in order to be issued an Eagle-One Card.

The initial fee for an Eagle-One Card is $45 and will be automatically billed to your student account.

How do I set up my Boston College email account?
Set up your Boston College email account to avoid missing important communications.  As soon as you are formally transferred to student status, you will receive an email containing your BC username and BC password. (You can also access these credentials via the Application Status Page). Use your BC password to sign into Agora Portal to create your Secondary Password, which is used to sign into your BC email.

Sign into your BC Email by visiting Enter your BC, then click Next. Enter your Secondary Password, then click Next. You are now signed into your BC email.

Visit Boston College ITS for more information on accessing your BC email account.  

Do I have to purchase the Boston College student medical insurance coverage?
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts mandates that all students attending colleges and universities in the state be required to have medical insurance coverage. Students not covered through their own personal policy must be included in the plan offered by their college or university.

See medical insurance rates, waivers, and more information from Boston College Student Services.

When do I register for classes?
Fall registration for new students opens in early June. You are encouraged to register early since all sections have a maximum of 20 students per class, and some sections close quickly. There are sufficient sections to accommodate demand.

What courses do I register for?
Please return to this page in the coming months to view updated curriculum plans for the 2021-2022 academic year.

Do I need to register for Field Education?
All students in the Two-Year program must register for SCWK 9921 01 for the fall semester.

How do I register?
Please return to this page in the coming months to view the New MSW Students Registration Guide. This guide will assist you with fall registration and planning ahead for the spring semester.

In looking over the schedule of courses I noticed that there are only 10 minutes between classes. If I take two classes back to back, is that enough time to get from one class to another?
If taking two classes in a row is the best schedule for you, you will not encounter any difficulties. If the classes are not in the same building, it is only a very short walk between buildings.

How often do classes meet?
All classes are held once a week for two hours. Classes meet on Wednesdays, Thursdays, or Fridays.

How do I know I’ve registered successfully?
Go to the BC Agora Portal and view Course History.

If I encounter a problem with registration, whom do I contact?
Teresa Schirmer, Associate Dean of Student Experience, or Liz Cinquino, Director of Student Services and Advising, can assist you.

Will I be assigned an Advisor?
Yes, all students are assigned an Advisor. You will be notified of your Advisor's name and contact information before classes begin.

In addition, you can seek academic advice from staff in the BCSSW Advising Center.

When can I expect to hear about my field placement?
The first step in the field placement process is completion of the Field Education Application. Once your application is received, it is assigned to a Field Education Assistant Director who will contact you and review your background and potential placement opportunities. You should expect to hear from one of the Field Education Assistant Directors within two weeks of submitting your application. If you haven't been contacted within two weeks, contact and we will forward your message to the appropriate Field Education Assistant Director.

Will I have the opportunity to visit the field placement prior to the start of the semester?
All students are advised to have a face-to-face interview with their field supervisor prior to the confirmation of the field placement. Students who live at a distance or out of the country usually have a phone or email interview.

Which days of the week do I go to my field placement?
Field placements for first year students generally are Mondays and Tuesdays during normal agency business hours.

When will I learn more about what’s expected of me in field placement?
See the Field Education section for more information about Field Education Orientation and your placement.

When should I purchase my textbooks?
A listing of fall semester required texts is available in Canvas, an e-learning system that complements classroom instruction. Canvas needs no special tools or installation other than your normal internet browser. All required textbooks can be purchased through the Boston College Bookstore. Some textbooks are available for rental.

What is the tuition rate and can I expect to receive financial aid from the School of Social Work?
See tuition rates and fees from Boston College Student Services. BC Social Work provides many students with tuition remission in the form of scholarships.

In order to receive consideration by either the University and/or the School of Social Work, applicants must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the Boston College Graduate Financial Aid Application with the University's Student Services Financial Aid Office. Students eligible for merit scholarships will be notified directly by the School of Social Work. No additional application is required.

Can I pay my tuition bill by credit card?
Boston College does not accept credit cards for payment of tuition and fees. The University does offer a web-based option which allows you to make payments directly from your checking account. Please have a copy of your check available to obtain the necessary routing numbers for completing the transaction. There is no fee for the service unless your request is denied. In that case, normal return check fines apply. You may access this secure service 24 hours a day at BC Agora Portal.

If I am accepted as a student in the Three-Year Program and begin classes in September, can I switch to the Two-Year Program after a semester or more?
No. Once you are accepted and begin classes as a student in the Three-Year Program, you must follow that curriculum. A four-year option is available.

If I am accepted into the Two-Year Program and begin classes in September, can I switch to the Three-Year Program after a semester or more?
Yes. You can modify your program of study by reducing your course load for future semesters. All fall course registrations must be finalized by the Drop/Add deadline.

Where can I find information about off-campus housing?
The Boston College Office of Residential Life has an Off-Campus Housing Office.

What are the important dates for next academic year?
An abbreviated academic calendar for incoming students is now available.

Activate BC Email Account

Activate BC Email Account:

  • Activate your Boston College email account to avoid missing important communications.
  • As soon as you are formally transferred to student status, you will receive a letter containing your BC username and BC password. Use your BC password to sign into the Agora Portal to create your Secondary Password, which is used to sign into your BC email.
  • Sign into your BC Email by visiting Enter your BC, then click Next. Enter your Secondary Password, then click Next. You are now signed into your BC email.
  • Visit Boston College ITS for more information on accessing your BC email account. 
  • The time and format for new student orientation will be announced soon. The program is expected to take place in mid-to late-August.

By the Numbers


Field Agency Partners

2.6 months

Average Length of Job Search


Employment Rate Within One Year


Licensure Pass Rate

Connect with BCSSW

Meet other newly admitted students and keep up on what's happening around campus.



Francois Exilhomme

MSW Transfer Credits

Francois Exilhomme
Assistant Dean, Graduate Enrollment Management

Liz Cinquino

MSW Registration

Liz Cinquino
Director, BCSSW Student Services & Advising

Teresa Touhey Schirmer

Academic Accommodations

Teresa Touhey Schirmer
Associate Dean, Student Experience