How to Register for Courses
To register for classes on the University's Information Systems (UIS), you will need to run BC UIS from your program menu or desktop. It has been configured to open automatically to BC's University Information System (UIS) screen.
If a login window does not open up when you start the application, try "Choose Options" from the Setup menu. Type bcvmcms.bc.edu in the Default Host box and click on the OK button. The UIS Login screen will appear.
- Enter your username and password. Press the enter/return key on your keyboard.
- Type in the number for Administrative Systems. Press the enter/return key.
- Type in the number for "U-View Your BC Records." Press the enter/return key.
- Type in the number 2 for Student Information and then R to register for courses.
There are different ways that you can search for a course. For example, if you are searching for Accounting courses, type:
- course prefix + ?: “acct?” (pulls up a list of all Accounting courses that are offered.)
- course prefix + course number + ?: “acct2000?” (pulls up all sections of a particular course.)
- course prefix + course # + section # + ?: “acct200001” (pulls that exact course into your schedule.)
Press the Enter or Return key. Select your course on the screen that follows.
Scroll through the course list by pressing the Enter or Return key.
To select a course, type the corresponding list number (see screenshot on left) and then press the Enter or Return key. The course should now appear in your schedule.
Type SAVE after choosing each course. This will save your spot in the course.
If the save prompt does not appear, look for an error message.
If you have not finished registering for courses, be sure to SAVE often, so you do not lose your seat in any of your course selections.
Type DROP over the index number of the course you want to drop from your schedule, and press the Enter or Return key. It should clear from your schedule.
- Corequisite: You need to add the course's corequisite to your schedule. The options for the corequisite are listed at the bottom left of the screen. Choose one and then type the index number on the next available line.
- Course Closed: There may be no seats left in the course or the department may be holding seats or sections of courses, so they are unavailable during certain periods of registration.
- Department Permission: Some courses including all graduate courses may be available to undergraduates with department permission only.
- Duplicate Course: You may have listed two sections of the same course.
- Invalid Index: You have entered an incorrect index number. Search "Course Information and Schedule" in www.bc.edu/myservices.
- Restricted: Course may be restricted by school (e.g., For Education Only), by degree (e.g., For Doctoral Students Only), by major (e.g., For Economics Majors Only), or by class year (e.g., For Freshmen Only).
- Time Conflict: You have listed two courses that are scheduled at the same time or overlap for a period of time.
- Course Overload: You have registered for too many courses.
If you have an error message, you will not be able to add this course or save your schedule unless you resolve the problem or remove the course from your schedule.
When you are finished, type DONE, and press the Enter or Return key on your keyboard. Then follow the instructions on each subsequent screen. Exit the registration transaction completely and then reenter to ensure that you have registered successfully for all your courses.
When you are finished, type L to log off.