Policies & Eligibility

Students who demonstrate financial need will qualify for financial aid provided they meet certain eligibility requirements below. These requirements include full-time enrollment in a degree program, satisfactory academic progress toward a degree, and eligible citizen status. Students with demonstrated financial need who live off-campus, while still eligible for financial aid, may see a reduction in their financial aid award as a result of a lower cost of attendance. A student with demonstrated financial need who studies abroad will receive more or less financial aid depending on the program's administering sponsor.

Demonstrated financial need is the difference between the cost of attendance and the expected family contribution.

Boston College is committed to providing information in a manner that is accessible to all. If you are in need of a printed copy of the material presented on this web page, please contact the Office of Student Services.


Verification is a federal process used to confirm the accuracy of the information provided on the FAFSA. If your FAFSA is selected for verification, additional information will be required to complete your financial aid file.

Students may be provided with a financial aid award before submitting all the required documentation to complete the verification process. Should the verified financial information differ significantly from the original information provided on your FAFSA and/or CSS Profile forms, there may be a change in your financial aid eligibility.

Required Documentation

The documentation required for the verification process can vary. Students can confirm what information is needed by checking their online portal which will indicate the information needed to complete your financial aid file. Typically students selected for verification will have to submit the following documents:

  • Incoming Student Federal Verification Form or Undergraduate Financial Aid Application
  • Signed copies of federal/foreign tax returns or IRS Tax Return Transcripts for the student and parent. 
  • If the student or parent is not required to file a tax return, a non-filer statement is required along with copies of your W2 forms. The IRS Verification of Non-Filing letter is required from parents of dependent students who did not file a tax return as well as independent students (and spouse, if applicable) who did not file a tax return. Dependent students are not required to submit an IRS Verification of Non-Filing letter. 
  • Additional documentation may be required for some to verify:
    • Untaxed Income
    • High School Completion Status
    • Identity/Statement of Educational Purpose​

IRS Data Retrieval Tool

The IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT) allows students and parents to electronically transfer their IRS tax return information into the FAFSA. The IRS DRT, if successfully matched, is one method used to complete the FAFSA Verification process.

We strongly encourage you to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool during the initial filing of your FAFSA. Families must actively choose to utilize the IRS DRT by clicking "Link to IRS" on the FAFSA. If they choose to do so, they will be transferred to the Internal Revenue Service website. There, the FAFSA Central Processing System (CPS) will conduct a data match with the IRS. In order to enhance the security and privacy of personal data transferred into the FAFSA from the IRS, the IRS DRT will encrypt the student applicant and parent transferred tax data and hide it from view on both the IRS DRT website and on the FAFSA web pages. The words "Transferred from the IRS" will display in the data entry fields throughout the FAFSA form and on the Student Aid Report (SAR).


You and your parents are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool if you:

  • Filed your federal tax return with the IRS
  • Have a valid social security number
  • Have a Federal Student Aid ID

You and your parents are not eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool if:

  • Your parents are married and filed as "Married Filing Separately"
  • Your parents are married and filed as "Head of Household"
  • You filed an amended tax return
  • You filed a foreign tax return
  • You filed a 1040NR tax return using a Tax Number (TIN)

Withdrawals and Leaves of Absence

Students who need to withdraw or take a leave of absence may do so for academic, disciplinary, personal, or medical reasons. For students that receive federal financial aid funds, you may be subject to the Federal Return of Title IV Aid calculation and state financial aid return policies. Students should notify the Office of Student Services as soon as a decision has been made to withdraw, take a leave, or otherwise stop attending Boston College.


Satisfactory Academic Progress

Federal regulations (Sections 668.16(e).668.32(f) and 668.34) require that schools monitor the academic progress of each applicant for federal financial assistance and that the school certify that the applicant is making satisfactory academic progress toward earning his/her degree. This determination of progress must be made at least once a year and before the financial aid office disburses any federal aid funds for the subsequent semester. At Boston College, students are reviewed annually, at the end of each spring semester, for compliance with the Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements.

Students who are aware of learning or other disabilities should immediately contact the Disability Services Office so that appropriate accommodations can be made. A student with a documented disability and functional limitations is still held to the same academic expectations as other students. If the student is registered with the Disability Services Office and receiving appropriate accommodations, the student should be able to maintain satisfactory academic progress for financial aid eligibility purposes.

Pursuant to Federal regulations, the following constitutes Boston College’s Financial Aid policy on satisfactory academic progress for undergraduate students.


Eligible Citizen Status

The Office of Student Services gives full financial aid consideration to United States citizens and eligible non-citizens. Eligible non-citizens are:

  • Permanent U.S. residents
  • Holder of an Arrival Departure Record (I-94) for anyone of the following designations:
    • Refugee
    • Asylum Granted
    • Parolee
    • Victim of Human Trafficking

Eligible non-citizens must provide documentation of permanent residency or citizenship status. Acceptable forms of documentation include:

  • Resident Alien Card (I-551)
  • Arrival/Departure Record (I-94) with a temporary I-551 stamp that has not expired
  • Conditional Permanent Resident Alien Card (I-551C)
  • T-Visa (T-1, T-2, T-3, etc)

Pending U.S. Permanent Residency Status

Prospective Students

  • Must document permanent residency by the admission deposit deadline. If you will not be able to document permanent residency status, you are not eligible for financial aid.
  • If granted permanent residency later in the academic year, you will be considered for financial aid at that time. Be sure to submit a complete financial aid application.

Continuing Students

  • Must document permanent residency with financial aid application.
  • If documentation comes in after the start of the academic year, you will be considered for financial aid at that time.

Off-Campus Housing

Students are eligible to receive financial aid if they live off campus. The Expected Family Contribution (EFC) remains the same for the academic year, and aid is adjusted according to the standard off-campus housing Cost of Attendance. The Cost of Attendance is based on a nine-month academic year, so the Summer months are the student's responsibility.

Based on extensive research performed by Residential Life and Enrollment Management on local cost of living, it is considered less expensive to live off campus than on campus. Living off campus impacts the awarding of financial aid in that the total cost of attendance is lower for a student living off campus. As a result, many students and families experience a decrease in the amount of financial aid awarded in the year the student spends off campus.

It is the student’s responsibility to find off-campus housing. This process usually takes place starting in February of each year. For more information, visit bc.edu/reslife. Students may apply for financial aid or alternative financing to help cover the costs of tuition, fees, and off-campus housing costs. 

All Boston College financial aid funds, as well as any federal or private loans are disbursed to your student account. When you live off campus, your student account is billed for only tuition and fees. All other costs (rent and food) are the responsibility of the student and the family. If your determined financial aid funding exceeds tuition and fees, a credit balance is created. You may use this credit balance to cover rent and food.

If you borrow funds to cover the expected family contribution, funds will be disbursed to the student account to cover any outstanding balance. Any credit balance may be refunded to you in the form of a refund check that you may request through My Services at bc.edu/myservices. These funds may be used for all costs associated with living off-campus.

Funds will not be available until the start of classes each semester and after all financial aid funds have been disbursed to the student account. There are no advances given to cover these costs, so you must make arrangements ahead of time.

Living Off Campus for 2022–2023

The approximate total cost for a student living off campus in 2022–2023 is $78,490. This figure consists of an average billed cost (without financial assistance) of $63,590 for tuition and fees. The remaining $14,900 is an allowance toward books, meals, transportation, and an estimated cost for room and board off-campus.

When looking for off-campus housing, it is important to take into consideration the average amount allowed for room/board within the 9-month academic year (September to May) budget. For the 2022–2023 academic year, the amount allowed for off-campus room and board is $11,750. This translates into approximately $1,305 per month for rent, groceries, and utilities. Keep in mind that if you sign a full-year 12-month lease, you are responsible for the costs of the apartment over the summer (June to August).

Study Abroad

  • Students studying abroad can use financial aid for their study-abroad semester or year.
  • If you study abroad through a BC-sponsored program, you will be considered for all of the same need-based grants and loans you would be considered for if you were studying at BC.
  • If you study abroad through an external (non-BC) or affiliate program, you will be considered for need-based federal and state aid. Students studying through these programs are not eligible for BC grant funding.
  • If you are studying through an external or affiliate program, you will need to complete a Consortium Agreement.
  • To learn more, visit the Applying for Aid web page.

The information below applies to full-time study in a program that will count towards your undergraduate degree at Boston College. A student’s enrollment in a program of study abroad approved for credit by the home institution may be considered enrollment at the home institution for the purpose of applying for assistance under the Title IV, HEOA programs.

Can I receive financial aid when I am studying abroad?

Students studying abroad can use financial aid for their study abroad semester or year. Students interested in financial aid must complete the BC financial aid application process. Students applying for alternative loans only do not need to complete a financial aid application.

I have charges to pay to a school other than BC. Who processes my financial aid?

Your financial aid (grants, loans, and alternative loans) is processed by the school from which you are seeking your degree. Although you may have some charges payable to your study abroad institution, your aid, including alternative loans, will be processed through BC.

How is my financial aid affected by studying abroad?

If you study abroad through a BC-sponsored program, you will be considered for the need-based grants and loans you would be considered for if you were studying at BC. If your study abroad program costs less than a BC semester, your financial aid must be based on this lower cost and your award may be adjusted. If your study abroad program costs more than a BC semester, you are eligible for financial aid up to the level that you would receive if you were at BC for that semester; it is your responsibility to finance any additional cost. Information about alternative loans is available on our website at bc.edu/paymentoptions. If you study abroad through an external (non-BC) or affiliate program, you will be considered for need-based federal and state aid. Students studying through these programs are not eligible for BC grant funding. Your work-study will be canceled for your study abroad semester(s), as work-study cannot be used while abroad.

When will my financial aid be adjusted?

Student Services receives monthly rosters of students studying abroad for the upcoming semester. Once we receive notice that you have completed your study abroad application with the Office of Global Education (OGE), your financial aid will be adjusted. If you have already received a financial aid award based on being at BC both semesters, your award will be revised when we receive this notification. Your award letter will note if your study abroad semester was factored in to your award.

My study abroad costs include expenses that aren’t charged by BC. Are these costs taken into consideration?

We realize that you have expenses associated with studying abroad that are not paid directly to BC. When calculating your study abroad cost, we include charges from BC, charges from your study abroad institution (such as tuition, housing, and meal plans), along with additional costs not paid to either institution (such as airfare, off-campus housing, books, and living expenses). Elective “field trips” are not considered for financial aid. If you study through a BC-sponsored program, we will use the total cost as determined by the Office of Global Education. If you participate in an external or affiliate program, your cost will be determined by the information we receive from your study abroad institution on the Consortium Agreement.

Do I need to complete a Consortium Agreement?

If you are studying through an external or affiliate program, you will need to complete a Consortium Agreement. This is required if you are receiving need-based aid, parent loans, or student alternative loans. Per federal regulation, BC cannot process your study abroad financial aid until we have a completed Consortium Agreement on file. A copy is available online at bc.edu/finaidforms or in the Office of Student Services. The deadlines for this form are as follows: August 10 for fall and full-year study abroad and December 10 for spring study abroad.

A section of the Consortium Agreement must be completed by your study abroad institution, so please allow enough time for a representative at that school to complete the form and return it to BC before the deadline. Because BC cannot process aid without this agreement, late Consortium Agreements will cause a delay in the processing of your aid and any applicable refunds. 

When and how do I obtain the refund on my credit balance?

If your financial aid (grants, loans, and alternative loans) for your study abroad semester exceeds what you will be charged by BC, you will have a credit balance available to take as a refund. Please note that your aid will be applied to prior unpaid balances before allowing a refund. Refunds are available when the funds arrive at BC, no earlier than the second day of classes at BC. Generally, loan funds are available after the first few weeks of school if your application materials were completed on time. Some funds, such as Pell and state grants, can take longer to arrive. You can monitor your bill online through your Agora Portal at bc.edu/myservices to see when these funds arrive at BC. Once the funds are applied to your account and BC classes have begun, you can request your refund online through your Agora Portal. 

My study abroad institution has deposits and bills that are due before my refund will be available. Can I receive an advance on these funds?

No. You cannot receive financial aid that has not arrived at BC yet. Application and room deposits must be paid out-of-pocket. If a bill from your study abroad institution is due before your refund will be available, it is your responsibility to work out a payment arrangement with the study abroad school. Some study abroad schools may extend payment deadlines if they know you are waiting for financial aid, but this is entirely up to the school’s discretion. If they are not willing to extend the deadline, you must pay them out-of-pocket and use your credit balance to reimburse yourself when it becomes available.

Resident Assistants

Resident Assistant (RA) benefits are given to all students who become an RA at Boston College. The benefit is the reimbursement of all room, board, and the Health Services fee charged to the RA in an academic year. The total amount given to an individual RA can vary based on the cost of the residence hall in which they reside.

How are the RA Benefits paid to me?

Each RA is charged room, board, and the Health Services fee on their student account. The exact amount charged is then placed on the system as financial aid for the RA. This “aid” is then credited against the charges on the student account. Most of these adjustments occur in late June of each year.

How will RA benefits affect my financial aid?

Federal regulations require that these benefits be counted as a resource to meet a student’s financial need. Therefore, the Office of Student Services must incorporate the RA benefits within the financial aid award. We try to do so in a way that will not penalize the student by meeting any unmet federal need and by replacing federal work-study. Depending on the individual’s financial aid award, some Boston College grant may be replaced, but the total overall package will not be reduced due to a student becoming an RA. It is our goal in the Office of Student Services to faithfully award financial aid to all of our RAs who demonstrate financial need. In doing so, we try to recognize the valuable contribution that RAs provide Boston College by striving to preserve the maximum grant funding allowable under federal rules.

Financial Aid Appeals

Financial aid applications require students and parent(s) to provide two year's worth of income information. The purpose of this information is to calculate an expected family contribution (EFC). An EFC is calculated for both the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and CSS Profile. The EFC is used to determine the financial need for a family using the following formula:

Cost of Attendance - Expected Family Contribution (EFC) = Financial Need

Families may request a secondary review of their financial aid package at any time due to a change in financial circumstances. Information presented in the appeal should be either new information or information that has changed significantly from the initial application materials. Special circumstances include the following:

  • Loss of income due to job termination, decrease in hours
  • One-time income (capital gain or distribution, etc.)
  • Death of parent and/or spouse
  • Major medical expenses not covered by insurance
  • Divorce or separation of parents
  • Catastrophic loss, such as damage or loss from a natural disaster 

Special Circumstances do not include the following:

  • Student or parent(s) who does not wish to borrow to cover educational expenses
  • Parent(s) refusal to contribute to educational expenses
  • Parent(s) payment of student loans for older sibling
  • Expenses such as credit card debt, wedding expenses, sports, enrichment activities, etc.

Initiating the Appeal Process

To begin the appeal process, the student should complete this brief survey that will determine if the situation qualifies for a formal appeal. If the appeal situation is something we can consider, the next step would be document collection.

Documentation Requirements 

Your assigned financial aid counselor will reach out to provide information on the status of any submitted appeal. If the appeal will be pursued, additional documentation will always be required. Types of documentation that may be needed include:

  • Copies of federal tax returns from 2021, 2020, and/or 2019 or other prior tax years
  • Unemployment benefits statement(s)
  • Copies of paystub(s)
  • Balance sheets
  • Death certificates
  • Bank statements
  • Medical bills

Once the required documentation has been provided, appeals are reviewed within 10–14 business days by a committee. Additional processing time may be needed if more information is required. At the conclusion of the appeal evaluations, students will be notified of the results.

Additional Considerations

Pursuing a financial aid appeal is a time intensive process. It requires the submission of additional documentation and does not guarantee an increase in financial aid. It is important to understand that even though you and your family may be experiencing financial hardships, it does not always create financial need. An appeal that does not result in additional assistance does not mean that our office is invalidating your circumstances; we are just limited with our ability to provide additional assistance.