Formed in 1954, The ISR is the largest sponsored research center at Boston College. It embodies the university's motto "Ever to Excel." It has been and continues to be at the forefront of world-class innovative research.
Our highly skilled team of scientists, engineers, mathematicians, and research associates uses its expertise for theoretical and experimental studies that include space physics, space chemistry, solar-terrestrial research, space weather, and astrophysical studies.
Our current projects include heavenly explorations—for example, observing the celestial sky to interpret the changes in infrared emissions in space—and earthbound pursuits, such as defining the effects of solar storms on space-based communication and navigation systems.
Our researchers are fully dedicated to their work and have achieved numerous awards and high acclaim from our sponsors. These sponsors include:
- the Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL),
- the Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR),
- the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA),
- the Office of Naval Research (ONR),
- the National Science Foundation (NSF),
- the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA),
- and other sponsors and partners from industry and academia.
As an organized research institute at Boston College, ISR supports the research mission of Boston College to conduct national and international significant research that advances insight and understanding, enriches culture, and addresses pressing social needs. Through our research and workshops, ISR also fosters the intellectual development of young scientists from around the world.
View ISR brochure