Boston College's policy on the Protection of Minors is designed to provide a safe environment for minors when on the Boston College campus, or while participating in University-sponsored activities off campus. This policy is intended to apply to University-sponsored activities involving minors, and programs for minors sponsored by non-University organizations that operate in University facilities.
Authorized Adults (Faculty, Staff, Students, and Volunteers) must:
Please refer to the CSI Splash Page to complete the Personal Information Disclosure questions, online training program, and a Criminal Offender Record background check.
NOTE: No person may serve as an Authorized Adult until he or she has completed the online self-disclosure form, the online training program, and a Criminal Offender Record background check. Please review the background check components here.
New Authorized Adult Participants: Please refer to the following checklist to ensure Authorized Adults are in compliance.
Returning Authorized Adult Participants: Please return to Option B - Returning Participants on the CSI Splash Page and follow the instructions.
Program Administrators must:
- Complete a Program Registration Form for each program involving minors and send it to the Program’s cognizant Dean or Vice President for approval. Please review an example of a completed Program Registration Form and/or a guide on how to complete the form.
- Send the approved Program Registration Form directly to their Employment Office contact person (see Employment Office Contact list.)
- Collect from parents/legal guardians and retain within your area the Medication and Emergency Treatment Authorization Form for all minors participating in the program prior to participation.
The Employment Officer must:
- Review the Program Registration Form
- Contact CSI to conduct the background check (which usually takes five to seven business days to complete) and obtain the results
- Receive certification for each authorized adult that has completed the personal information disclosure form and the online training program
- Inform the Program Administrator which Authorized Adults have completed the personal information disclosure form and the online training and cleared the background check.
- Maintain a secure file in HR for each Program containing the Program Registration Form and the documents listed above for each Authorized Adult.
Parents/legal guardians of participating minors must:
- Complete and sign a Medication and Emergency Treatment Authorization Form prior to the minor’s participation in a youth program.
- Submit the form to the Program Administrator.
Non-University Sponsored Programs
Non-University organizations sponsoring Programs that use University facilities shall be required to execute and deliver a Facilities License and Indemnification Agreement prior to authorization by a responsible Vice President or Dean to make use of Boston College facilities.
*Boston College uses Creative Services, Inc. (CSI) to conduct these CORI background checks. CSI is located in Mansfield, Massachusetts and is a firm that specializes in conducting background searches and does so for a wide variety of clients.