Charitable Remainder Trusts
How It Works
In exchange for cash, securities, real estate, or tangible assets you and/or your beneficiaries will receive an income stream for life or a fixed term of years. At the passing of the named beneficiaries, BC will receive the remainder of the gift.
With a minimum of $100,000, you can establish two types of remainder trusts at BC:
- Charitable Remainder Unitrust (CRUT): pays a variable stream of income, which is equal to a fixed percentage of the fair market value of the trust during that year
- Charitable Remainder Annuity Trust (CRAT): pays a fixed stream of income, which is equal to a fixed percentage of the funding value of the trust.
Alternatively, you can fund a Charitable Remainder Trust through your estate to provide income to your named beneficiaries after your passing. In addition to providing income to your heirs, a testamentary CRUT can reduce your estate taxes.
- Contact the Office of Gift Planning to start the process, ask questions, and get personalized calculations
- Try our gift calculator to understand your options.
BC’s legal name, address and tax ID:
The Trustees of Boston College
140 Commonwealth Avenue
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
Tax ID 04-2103545
AT A GLANCE
- Age 50+ (or younger for a term of years)
- Real estate
- Personal property
- Business interest
- Now and after death
- Receive payments for life
- Potential for growth of income over time
- Supplement retirement income
- Receive a charitable deduction
- Avoid capital gains tax
- Save on gift and estate taxes
- Support the future of BC at a level you didn’t think was possible
- Become a member of the Shaw Society
How Can We Help?
We're here to partner with you if you have any questions. Feel free to reach out to us directly or fill out the form.