Get your questions answered about gift details and the Shaw Society.
Why should I consider leaving a bequest to Boston College?
- A bequest to BC enables you to support Boston College without impacting your current assets. By giving in this way, you may find that you can provide a greater gift than would otherwise be possible. These gifts are also fairly simple to make and often offer valuable tax benefits.
How do planned gifts help me make an impact at Boston College?
- Planned gifts provide the University with the fiscal strength and security required for continued growth. Your gifts ensure that future generations benefit from an ever-improving student experience that remains closely tied to BC’s Jesuit, Catholic mission.
Can I designate my gift?
- Absolutely. While you may provide an unrestricted gift that enables BC to address the University’s top priorities, you can also choose to support an area that has personal significance, such as financial aid or a specific school.
Can a planned gift be directed to a previously established endowed fund?
- Yes, designating your gift to an endowed fund enables that enduring resource to keep better pace with the rising cost of education.
Can BC be the trustee of a Charitable Remainder Trust?
- Yes. In order to be the trustee, BC must be irrevocably named as a 51% or more remainder beneficiary.
If I donate a painting, will BC determine its value for my income tax deduction?
- No. The IRS requires that donors of artwork and collectibles secure an independent qualified appraisal to establish the fair market value of the items being donated.
For more information on donating non cash assets, please review IRS form 8283.
Can I receive a charitable deduction from an IRA rollover gift?
- No. The donor cannot take a charitable deduction for this type of contribution. The tax benefit the donor receives is excluding this contribution from their gross income and, therefore, not having to pay federal income taxes on it.
What is the Shaw Society?
- All who make planned gifts to Boston College are welcomed into this prominent society, named for Fr. Joseph Coolidge Shaw, who helped found BC through his bequest of books and the proceeds of his life insurance policy. As a member, you will receive special recognition within the University, including distinguished status in BC publications, updates on the latest campus news, and invitations to exclusive events.
What is Boston College's federal tax ID?
- Boston College's federal tax ID is 04-2103545.
How can I make an outright gift to BC?
- Online: Make a gift via our online donation form
- By Mail: Make your check payable to "Boston College," and mail to:
Office of University Advancement
Cadigan Alumni Center
140 Commonwealth Avenue
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
How Can We Help?
We're here to partner with you if you have any questions. Feel free to reach out to us directly or fill out the form.