Charitable Gift Annuities
A charitable gift annuity is a simple contract in which you make a gift to Boston College and you—or other beneficiaries you name—receive fixed payments for life.
How It Works
In exchange for cash or securities, you and/or your beneficiary will receive fixed income, backed by the assets of the University. At the passing of your named beneficiaries, BC will receive the remainder of the gift.
If you don't need income now, you can defer payments until a later date. A deferred gift annuity allows you to receive immediate tax benefits and build up resources for your future, which results in a larger income stream for you. If you are not sure when you would like to start receiving payments, you can choose from a determined time range by setting up a flexible deferred gift annuity. Whatever you decide, your income will be taxed at a favorable blended rate.
Your gift annuity payment amount is based on you and/or your beneficiary's age, when your payments start, and the size of the gift. You also may be eligible to claim a charitable income tax deduction in the year in which you make your gift.
The minimum amount to establish a gift annuity is $25,000.
Alternatively, you can fund a CGA through your estate to provide fixed income to your named beneficiaries after your passing. In addition to providing income to your heirs, a testamentary CGA can reduce your estate taxes.
- Contact the Office of Gift Planning to start the process, ask questions, and get personalized calculations.
- Try our gift calculator to understand your options.
BC’s legal name, address and tax ID:
The Trustees of Boston College
140 Commonwealth Avenue
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
Tax ID 04-2103545
AT A GLANCE
- Age 60+ (younger if you defer payments)
- Now and after death
- Receive fixed, secure income payments for life
- Supplement retirement income
- Receive a charitable deduction
- Reduce capital gains tax
- Save on gift and estate taxes
- Support the future of BC at a level you didn’t think was possible
- Become a member of the Shaw Society
How Can We Help?
We're here to partner with you if you have any questions. Feel free to reach out to us directly or fill out the form.