Programs & Events
Boston College’s Walk Across Campus (WAC) is among the most popular of many Healthy You sponsored activities. Over the last several years, the Walk Across Campus challenge has successfully promoted friendly competition while building solid camaraderie amongst peers throughout BC. The WAC has fostered a “community of walkers” year-round, and once the challenge begins the campus fills with scores of walkers getting their steps in whenever they can.
Final Results of the Fall 2022 Walk Across Campus
Saturday, October 1st through Wednesday, November 30th
|Team Name||Total Steps|
|We're On a Mission||14,856,843|
|129 TEAM LAKERS||9,366,250|
|NO TEAM NO PROBLEM||9,000,677|
|CSON Team Competitive||8,236,122|
|Red Hot Chili Steppers||7,737,735|
|Best Pace Scenario||7,090,154|
|ELHE Walk This Way||6,956,234|
Boston College's charitable walk campaign marches on this year as we continue to incorporate BC's mission of being "men and women for others" into our health and well-being programming.
Join fellow BC employees in a walk for one of the following great causes! To join a team, please contact a Team Leader listed below. They will assist you with the registration process. All participants will receive a complimentary BC t-shirt, distributed by Team Leaders on the day of the walk. Please note that any registration fees and/or fundraising requirements are to be incurred by participants.
We are still looking for Team Leaders for walks. If you are interested in being the Team Leader, please contact Sue Lawler or call 617-552-3336. Team Leaders function as the point person for their walk, under the team name "Boston College Healthy You team.” In addition to receiving a complimentary BC t-shirt, Team Leaders will also receive a BC baseball cap.
While steps will only be counted towards the WAC competition from charitable walks that fall between October and November or April and May, all participants receive the benefit of getting exercise and walking for a good cause!
Fall Semester Charitable Walks
Click on the name of the walk for more information, including date, time and location.
- Walk to Defeat ALS - Boston
- 5 to Thrive 5K Waltham
- Annual Boston Firefighters Local 718 10K Memorial Road Race
- Annual Welles Crowther Red Bandanna 5K
- The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s Light the Night
- DAV 5K Boston
- Boston River Run
- Brian Honan 5K Run/Walk Road Race More information below.
Brian Honan 5K Run/Walk Road Race
Sunday, September 25, 2022, at Noon
To join the BC team, contact Stephen Montgomery.
BC Employees should use promo code "BC" to waive the registration fee.
Meet at: CVS Parking Lot, 181 Brighton Avenue, Allston
If you would like to recommend a preferred charitable walk that you do not see here, please email all details of the walk to Sue Lawler for consideration.
AJCU Go Move Walking Challenge
Calling all Boston College faculty and staff! Help your team win the annual Go Move Challenge by recording your minutes of physical activity to determine which Jesuit institution is the most active. With the majority of our Jesuit universities and colleges participating this year, including the AJCU staff, every minute truly counts!
HOW TO JOIN THE CHALLENGE
- You must create a new account each year to participate
- Visit www.GoMoveChallenge.org
- Click LOG IN / REGISTER on the top menu bar
- In the REGISTER box, enter your university email address and other required information; then click SUBMIT
- You will receive a confirmation email with your user email and password
HOW TO LOG MINUTES
Starting February 1, visit www.GoMoveChallenge.org
- Click LOG IN on the top menu bar (or REGISTER if you have not already done so -- see instructions above)
- In the LOG IN box, enter your email address and password
- In the LOG MY WORKOUT box, select the type of movement / activity, enter the number of minutes, and select a single date or date range for logging multiple days; if you need help converting your steps to minutes this CHART can help
- Click LOG IT
Remember: Keep moving and log your minutes until Feb. 28th
Every participant who signs up and sticks with it for the month will receive a prize!
HOW TO WIN
Once again, there are three ways to win:
- The university with the most minutes
- The university with the highest average number of minutes per participant
- The region with the most minutes.
The winning institutions will be announced on the www.GoMoveChallenge.org website and through our social media sites.
CHALLENGE RULES AND TIPS
- The challenge starts at 12 a.m. on Feb. 1 and ends at 11:59 p.m. on Feb. 28 (all Pacific Time)
- Minutes must be entered by the end of the challenge to count for the challenge
- You will be tracking minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity = intentional exercise that causes at least a moderate increase in breathing or heart rate. If you are spending the day skiing, golfing, or vacationing, please only enter the minutes that you are moving moderately to vigorously.
- If you are a pencil-and-paper kind of person, download the exercise tracker and tips calendar to track your minutes and enter them on the Go Move Challenge challenge site at your convenience (starting mid-January)
- Share your challenge experiences and send or tag your photos showing your activities which will be included in our weekly AJCU challenge update article.
- Post your challenge photos on Facebook and Instagram with #GoMoveChallenge
- Read the challenge FAQs at www.GoMoveChallenge.org/FAQ
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
By participating in this challenge, you agree to the following:
- I agree to log my minutes honestly, demonstrate good sportsmanship, and have fun!
- I certify that I am a faculty, staff, or board member of a Jesuit university or college.
- I certify that I am in good physical condition and am able to safely participate in the Go Move Challenge. I understand that my involvement in this Challenge as a faculty or staff member of my university shall be construed as a strictly personal, voluntary activity and not part of my faculty or staff member responsibilities or job duties as an employee, agent, or volunteer of the university.
Questions? Email Suzanne Lawler, Boston College, Human Resource, Assistant Director, Employee Development and Wellbeing
Healthy You's eldercare support seminars cover topics surrounding elder caregiving with a focus on providing support to the caregiver. These programs are facilitated by a consultant or panel of industry experts from local organizations who provide current information, customized resource materials, and include time for Q&A.
Registration is required for all seminars.
The edHEALTH Walking Challenge 2021 is set to start on June 7th and go through July 4, 2021. Registration for the challenge will open on June 7th. This challenge is sponsored by Harvard Pilgrim Health Care.
Campus Recreation Discounts
Campus Recreation & Healthy You are pleased to offer spring session courses at half price for faculty/staff members!
All benefits-eligible employees at BC who are also members of Campus Rec pay only half of the member rate for a course and Healthy You pays the other half. The 50% off rate will be automatically applied when you register; you will see the discount at check out.
There is no FitClub this semester, but try the new Kickstarter Motivate with Bryan. This is a great way to jumpstart your routine and get yourself on the path to a healthier lifestyle!