How does this work?
- Courses taken abroad automatically count toward general elective credit at BC.
- Boston College does not grant credit for non-academic subjects including but not limited to: cooking/wine courses and sport/gym/physical activity courses.
- Courses abroad can count toward BC major, minor or core requirements with departmental approval.
- If you are at all unsure if a given course will count for general elective credit, contact the Academic Operations Administrator before registering for the course. Any course approved for major/minor/core always counts for BC credit.
- A course must equate to 3 BC credits to fulfill a BC requirement.
- Students should not expect to fulfill more than 3 major, minor, or core requirements while abroad.
How to Get Courses Approved
Students should seek course approval prior to departure. If course registration plans change while abroad, students should save emails and records.
To obtain approval for courses to count toward major, minor, or core requirements, students will need to complete the Study Abroad Course Evaluation form.
All students are required to complete a program evaluation survey upon return in MyOGE. Once we receive your transcript, OGE and Student Services will process your grades and credits and enter them into EagleApps using the Grading Translation Scale. The process usually takes 3-5 months before you are able to view your grades in the Agora portal.
If you need a letter explaining the delay in grades for a job, internship, or graduate school application, please contact the Academic Operations Administrator.