The Office of Global Education facilitates the transfer of credits and grades to each student’s BC transcript. At a minimum, credit earned abroad will count towards general elective credits needed to complete a BC degree. With careful planning, students can make progress in their major and minor concentrations while exploring new areas of interest and opportunities that may not be available in Chestnut Hill. 

Academic Steps For BC Students Studying Abroad

1. Review OGE’s academic policies. Meet with your academic advisor and discuss your course selection. Try to select courses that you would not be able to take at BC.

2. Review the policies and process for course approvals.

3. Select your courses using the course and credits guidelines.

1. Consider declaring a course pass/fail by following the pass/fail instructions.

2. Digitally save all syllabi, course materials, assignments, and important emails with faculty for future reference.

At the end of your time abroad, you will receive an email from with specific information about transcripts, courses, and grades from abroad. 

Average timeline of when grades/courses from abroad appear on EagleApps:

  • Fall Study Abroad- April/May
  • Spring Study Abroad- September/October 

All courses taken abroad are entered into a student's BC record as if they were BC courses. 

Major/minor/core approvals do not appear on EagleApps until after your study abroad courses are entered. 

Your grades will be translated according to our grade translation scale, and credit will be assigned based on the course and credit guidelines

Most (but not all) programs will automatically send your transcript to the OGE. If asked where to send your host transcript: Some institutions will not release transcripts if you have a financial or disciplinary issue to resolve. It is your responsibility to attend to these matters.

If you need your host program transcript: email using your email address and include your eagle ID.

ECTS Credits

The most common credit system used by BC abroad programs in Europe is the ECTS system (European Credit Transfer System). Our standard rule for ECTS credits is 2 ECTS credits equal 1 BC credit. Since Boston College does not allow half credits, a 5 ECTS credit course will transfer back as either 2 or 3 BC credits depending on the student’s full course load of credits. 

10 ECTS = 5 BC
7.5 ECTS = 4 BC                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             7 ECTS = 4 BC                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                6 ECTS = 3 BC                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               5 ECTS = 2 or 3 BC **                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  4 ECTS = 2 BC 

**  Courses that transfer back to Boston College with two (2) BC credits may not satisfy major, minor, or core requirements. If you have any questions about credit translation, please send a list of ALL your abroad courses with credit values to

These courses really furthered my knowledge of the subjects and my professors pushed me to learn in different ways. It really opened my eyes to the different experiences people have around the world in terms of education.
Boston College Study Abroad Participant, Class of 2021