Ashdown Park Hotel, in East Sussex, England, site of the 2019 IS Summit.
IS Summit Retreat
The IS Summit is a a weekend retreat for IS majors and minors to reflect and connect while studying abroad.
Study abroad can be a life-changing experience, but it can also be a blur while you’re in the middle of it. So we’re offering a unique opportunity to reflect on that experience while it’s happening. At the IS Summit, you’ll explore and integrate the challenges, insights, and growth experiences that arise in your academic and personal life while studying abroad.
Thanks to a collaboration with the Center for Student Formation, the entire weekend in southern England is presently offered at almost no cost. Students need only to pay for their airfare to/from Gatwick Airport (home to EasyJet and many other discount airlines), and subsidies are available for those with financial need.
Future dates and plans:
Our inaugural Summit took place in mid-March, 2019. Our second Summit, planned for late March 2020, was cancelled due to COVID-19 health and travel restrictions, but we hope to host another Summit in March 2021. We also hope to expand the program to provide reflective experiences for students abroad in the Fall semester, and for those who can't meet physically due to travel or health reasons.
What will you do there?
- Reflect on the academic and personal aspects of your study abroad experience at the mid-point of your semester
- Connect with your fellow IS majors in small-group settings and social hours
- Get to know International Studies faculty and other faculty, staff, and administrators from the BC community
- Enjoy a spectacular estate in the English countryside
How does it work?
- Eligibility: Open to IS majors and minors studying abroad.
- Size: We can host up to 20 students; slots fill on a first-come basis, with priority for majors.
- Location: Ashdown Park Estate, East Sussex, England
- Travel: Students must arrive at Gatwick Airport (code: LGW) by noon on the Friday of the retreat; we will depart at noon on Sunday. Transport to/from Gatwick is provided.