Advising & Career
The interdisciplinary character of the major and minor in International Studies requires that students carefully coordinate their course of study across many academic departments. Early planning is essential to a successful program, as schedules can conflict and not all courses are offered every year.
We encourage faculty and students alike to download our IS Program Advising Handbook, which offers a concise account of the requirements for IS majors and minors; answers to common but specific questions about university and Morrissey College (MCAS) rules such as double-counting courses and taking classes pass/fail; and an addendum with campus resources for a wide range of issues. Another important advising document is the IS Major Course Plan and the IS Minor Course Plan, in which students lay out their specific plan to complete their major/minor requirements. You can also find much more information about MCAS and University requirements at the MCAS Academic Advising Center site.
International Studies alumni work in a wide range of fields after graduation, and they work all over the world. This section of our site offers resources for students reflecting on their path after graduation, as well as internships during their time at BC that are career oriented.
Most of our students begin their post-grad life in a professional position with a non-profit organization or think tank, a governmental agency, a corporation, a school, or some other form of employment. To get general advice or specific job listings that can help with all of these options:
- Visit our Job Listings page and read the Career section of the IS Program's weekly newsletter
- Watch our Alumni Career Conversations video playlist on YouTube (or scroll down for direct links) for a wide range of advice, tips, and reflections on the career paths of IS alumni in many different careers.
Current students and our nearly 1,000 alumni can engage with one another via our Linked with our LinkedIn group, BC International Studies.
A substantial number of our majors and minors -- a much higher percentage than the BC average -- undertake a year or more of service, research, or teaching after graduation, usually as part of a fellowship progam or vuolunteer organization:
- Each year a number of our graduates receive research or teaching fellowships such as a Fulbright Scholarship to work abroad for a year or two after graduation. These prestigious awards are difficult to win, but IS majors have earned post-graduate fellowships at four times the rate of other BC graduates, on average. Our Fellowships page has information about more than 20 programs to which our students can apply.
- IS majors and minors also choose a year or two of service after graduation at much higher rates than the BC average. Our Service page has information about the Peace Corps, Teach for America, Jesuit Volunteer Corps, and other popular post-grad service options.
- A substantial number of our students attend graduate school at some point, in law, international affairs, public policy, public health, business, medicine, or a PhD in a related field. Our Grad Programs page has basic information and links to help students get started in that direction.
Alumni Career Conversations
Careers in Government, National Security, and Foreign Policy
Panel of five IS alumni reflecting on thieir journey in the fields of Careers in Government, National Security, and Foreign Policy. Recorded April 30, 2020.
#Government #NationalSecurity #ForeignPolicy #Diplomacy
Careers in NGOs, IGOs, and Think Tanks
Panel of five IS alumni reflecting on thieir journey in non-governmental organizations, international organizations, and think tanks. Recorded May 1, 2020.
#NGO #IGO #ThinkTanks #Policy
Postgraduate Service Opportunities
Panel of five IS alumni reflecting on their experience with post-graduate service experiences, including Peace Corps, Jesuit Volunteer Corps, Teach for America, and more. Recorded May 1, 2020.
#Service #PeaceCorps #JVC #TFA #NationalService
Careers in Finance and Consulting
Panel of six IS alumni reflecting on thieir journey in finance, consulting, and management. Recorded May 6, 2020.
#Finance #Banking #ManagementConsulting #StrategyConsulting
Ellie Warner-Rousseau '19
Recorded April 2, 2021
MDRC, Henry Street Settlement
#Policy #NGO #Service
Sean Keeley '15
Recorded March 19, 2021
Center for Strategic & International Studies, The American Interest, Columbia School of International and Public Affairs
#Think Tank #Media #Grad School