Postdoctoral Researcher in Ocean Biogeochemistry at Boston College
The Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences at Boston College is seeking a postdoctoral researcher in ocean biogeochemistry. The successful candidate will conduct research combining numerical model simulations and sensor data from autonomous platforms to understand connections between the biological carbon pump and the marine carbon cycle. This research will contribute to a NSF-funded collaborative project between Boston College and the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution aimed at diagnosing the physical and biological drivers of air-sea oxygen and carbon dioxide exchange in the subpolar North Atlantic.
PhD in Oceanography, Earth Science, or a related fiel
- Conduct independent, high-quality research
- Publish papers in peer-reviewed journals
- Present research at national and international conferences
- Work collaboratively with researchers both at Boston College and at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Prior experience with scientific programming, such as in Matlab and/or Python
- Prior experience studying ocean biogeochemistry
- Prior experience with numerical ocean circulation/biogeochemistry models
- Prior experience interpreting oceanographic sensor data, especially from oxygen or carbonate chemistry sensors
Applicants should submit a curriculum vitae, a 1-page statement of research interests, and the names and contact information for three references to Hilary Palevsky (firstname.lastname@example.org). Review of applications will begin November 1, 2019 and continue until the position is filled. The initial term of appointment is for one year, with possibility of renewal for up to two additional years.
Boston College is a Jesuit, Catholic university that strives to integrate research excellence with a foundational commitment to formative liberal arts education. We encourage applications from candidates who are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic community. Boston College is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of any legally protected category including disability and protected veteran status. To learn more about how BC supports diversity and inclusion throughout the university, please visit the Office for Institutional Diversity.