Thank you for considering the Boston College History Department in your decision to pursue graduate studies! To apply to the M.A. or Ph.D. or enroll as a nondegree student, please visit the Morrissey College of Arts and Sciences's website via this button.
Admissions deadlines are January 2 for our Ph.D. program and February 1 for the MA program. Applicants should submit:
- an application form, which can be found on the Morrissey College Arts and Sciences website linked above
- a statement of purpose (one or two pages) emphasizing your intellectual interests and your reasons for choosing Boston College
- undergraduate and graduate transcripts
- GRE General Test is optional. GRE general scores taken within the last five years.
- at least three letters of recommendation
- a writing sample (preferably 10 to 15 pages) of a research paper written for a recent course or one written expressly for the application
- TOEFL or IELTS scores for international applicants
The majority of the materials can be uploaded through the admissions system. Everything else should be mailed to the following address:
Graduate School of Arts and Sciences
Gasson Hall 108
140 Commonwealth Avenue
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
Do not mail any materials to the History Department.
We wish you the best as you begin the admissions process, and we appreciate your consideration of Boston College.
For detailed application instructions, please visit the Graduate School of the Morrissey College of Arts and Science's website. You can e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with any submission questions, or view our Admission FAQ.