INTERNATIONAL EDUCATION WEEK 2017
(November 13 - 17, 2017)
Tuesday, November 14, 2017 3PM-4:30PM Devlin 221
Panelists include: Prof. Régine Jean-Charles (African and African Diaspora Studies, Romance Languages and Literatures); Prof. Donna Cullinan (Connell School of Nursing); Prof. Martha Castaño (Romance Languages and Literatures), and Jorge Mahecha (Ph.D. candidate, Lynch School of Education).
Description: Framed by Prof. Régine Jean-Charles’s offering of a historical perspective on humanitarian efforts in Haiti, this presentation will highlight panelists’ initiatives as founders and/or directors of the following change-making programs & organizations in Haiti and Colombia: (1) The Connell School of Nursing’s international program of community health mission trips to Leogane, Haiti (Prof. Donna Cullinan); (2) The Sunantha Camila Foundation established by Prof. Martha Castaño with the mission of feeding and educating pre-school children of high risk in her native Colombia; (3) Enseña por Colombia (“Teach for Colombia”), an award-winning teacher training program, and SieNi, a small non-profit organization tasked with educating Colombian children about water conservation and enabling them to become agents of social change in their local communities (Jorge Mahecha, Ph.D. candidate).
Sponsored by the BC Language Laboratory, African and African Diaspora Studies Program, Center for Teaching Excellence, Connell School of Nursing, Lynch School of Education, and the Romance Languages and Literatures Department.
Boston College & SCOLA
BeCome GLOBALLY PROFICIENT!
Boston College & SCOLA Web Services
World news, cultural programming, language practice: access to 160 countries & 200 languages via SCOLA Web Services.
- World TV Online: 24/7 international broadcast programs on 8 channels, spanning European, Spanish & Portuguese, Mandarin Chinese, Asian, African, Middle East, Southeast Asia-Far East, and Eurasian countries/languages
- International Radio in 29 languages
- On The Street Videos: over 7,000 videos from 90 countries showing informal native speech in everyday situations
- People & Places: over 29,000 photos from around the world
- Foreign Text: 200 recurring newspaper and magazine publications in 70 languages
- Insta-Class: materials in 52 languages with quizzes and vocabulary already provided
- Video Editor create your own video clips in the classroom
To access SCOLA Web Services from any computer on the BC network, go to:
See SCOLA’s Technical Information page to make full use of these Online resources. For more information, including how to access SCOLA Web Services on your iPhone or iPad, contact:
Cynthia Bravo (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Director of the Language Lab
Yabla: Online Language Immersion
Learning through authentic media:
- Music videos
- Yabla exclusive shoots
Yabla media player features:
- Slow Play
- Integrated Dictionaries
- Listening Game
- Dual Language Subtitles
- And more…
- Chinese http://chinese.yabla.com
- English http://english.yabla.com
- French http://french.yabla.com
- German http://german.yabla.com
- Italian http://italian.yabla.com
- Spanish http://spanish.yabla.com
Access BC’s Subscription to all 6 of these Yabla sites at any Language Lab computer workstation.
ASK A LAB ASSISTANT TO LOG YOU IN TODAY!