The Sociology Department has collected and answered the following questions in reference to our curriculum and student research opportunities.

What are you interested in?

question match your criteria

Are there undergraduate research fellowship opportunities?
<p>Boston College established the Undergraduate Research Fellowship Program to enhance the academic experience of undergraduates by cultivating their research skills and fostering mentor relationships between undergraduates and faculty. The Program provides funds to faculty to pay for a student’s research assistance with a faculty member’s research project.</p> <p><span class="btn btn-default btn-gold"><a href="https://www.bc.edu/bc-web/research/undergrad-research-opps.html">Undergraduate Research Opportunities </a></span></p>
Can I count any statistics course that BC offers towards my Sociology major or minor?
<p>Your degree audit will automatically accept statistics courses from Economics (ECON1151), Biology (BIOL2300), or Psychology (PSYC1120). If you take one of these courses, you must take an additional SOCY elective (any level) to complete the major or minor. We accept other statistics courses on a case-by-case basis. To get approval for these, complete a <a href="https://bc.teamdynamix.com/TDClient/2035/Portal/Requests/TicketRequests/NewForm?ID&#61;zBA3R6SreOY_">Degree Audit Course Substitution and Waiver Form</a>.</p>
Can I earn credit towards my Sociology major or minor with an internship?
<p>Yes, one credit. Complete the <a href="https://www.bc.edu/content/dam/bc1/offices/student-services/registrar/internship_approval_form-editable.pdf">Internship Approval Form</a>.</p>
Do I have to take a research methods course before I am able to pursue research opportunities?
<p>Plan to take a research methods class such as SOCY2210 and/or a statistics class such as SOCY2200 before asking for research opportunities – professors may be more receptive if they know you have the necessary preparation. The department also offers some 5000- and 7000-level advanced methods and statistics classes that are open to interested undergrads who have taken SOCY2210 or SOCY2200. Taking such classes will certainly increase your chances to get involved in research.</p>
Do I need to take Introduction to Sociology, Research Methods, Social Theory, and Statistics in any specific order?
<p>No, any order is acceptable. These four courses must be taken at Boston College during the academic year; they may not be taken in the evening or summer sessions.</p>
How can I find undergraduate research opportunities?
<p>Look at the university’s webpage covering undergraduate research opportunities.</p> <p><span class="btn btn-default btn-gold"><a href="https://www.bc.edu/bc-web/research/undergrad-research-opps.html">Undergraduate Research Opportunities </a></span></p>
How can I override into a closed Sociology course?
<p>The only person who can give you an override is the instructor of the course. Contact the instructor. The instructor will email you his or her permission, and you will need to take this permission to McGuinn 426 in order to be enrolled.</p>
How can I pursue my specific interest for a topic discussed in class?
<p>If you’re interested in a topic you discussed in a class, the best way to start is to contact that professor and ask if they have a position for you to be an undergraduate research assistant. Even if this particular faculty member doesn’t, the conversation may open up some opportunities for you. You can also locate faculty members with shared interests on the faculty clusters of interest page.</p> <p><span class="btn btn-default btn-gold"><a href="/content/bc-web/schools/morrissey/departments/sociology/people/faculty-clusters.html">Faculty Clusters</a></span></p>
How do I get credit towards my Sociology major or minor for a course that I plan to take at another U.S. university?
<p>First, complete a <a href="https://bc.teamdynamix.com/TDClient/2035/Portal/Requests/TicketRequests/NewForm?ID&#61;AlDeFaga1PM_">Course Pre-Approval Form</a>.</p> <p>Generally, the Department of Sociology will not approve requests for major or minor courses taken at U.S. schools other than Boston College, so be sure to look into this before you pay tuition at another school! There are two exceptions:</p> <ol><li>Students who have transferred to Boston College from another school may transfer Sociology credits. Complete the <a href="https://bc.teamdynamix.com/TDClient/2035/Portal/Requests/TicketRequests/NewForm?ID&#61;44801">Transfer Course Evaluation Form</a>.</li><li>Students who have a credit deficiency (i.e., have completed fewer than 15 credits per semester) may, with prior approval, take courses at another school.</li></ol>
How do I get credit towards my Sociology major or minor for courses that I took while I was abroad?
<p>Complete a <a href="https://bc.teamdynamix.com/TDClient/2035/Portal/Requests/TicketRequests/NewForm?ID&#61;44802">Study Abroad Course Evaluation Form</a>.</p>
How do I get the Social Science Core credit for a Sociology course taken at another university?
<p>The Department of Sociology only gives Core credit for BC Sociology courses that are approved as Core requirements. For more information, see the <a href="https://www.bc.edu/content/bc-web/schools/morrissey/undergraduate/core-curriculum/student-faq.html">Core FAQ.</a></p>