Planning Your Minor
For a list of all current and past MHHC electives, please visit our Course Database
Minor courses should be selected in relation to your major and your interests. Try to take the required Introductory course, ENGL 2212, as early as possible in the minor, as it will introduce you to a range of disciplinary approaches (and to several BC faculty) that will help you to choose subsequent courses. It may be helpful to shape your electives around a thematic cluster, for example:
- Global/Public Health
- Values and Ethics
- Mind and Body
- Health Care Delivery
- Medical narrative, writing, and representation
Electives taken prior to enrolling in the minor will count once you enroll. For students weighing study abroad: we are now able to offer credit for an elective taken overseas, but courses must be approved by the curriculum committee on your return.
Structure and Requirements
The Medical Humanities Minor consists of 18 credits, or six courses:
- ENGL2212, required for all minors, to be taken as early as possible in your career
- Four electives, drawn from a designated list
- An advanced elective, taken in your junior or senior year
Your five electives must be in at least three different departments. (ENGL2212 does not count towards this.) Only one of these courses may “co-count” towards your major, another minor, or the Core.
One of your electives may also be taken abroad upon approval from the Curriculum Committee. Ordinarily, credit will only be granted on returning from the program, on evaluation of the syllabus and graded work done in the course.
Informal advising sessions are held before fall and spring registration. In addition, minors are encouraged to email and/or set up an advising meeting with either the Graduate Assistant (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Professor Boesky (email@example.com).
CSON students must seek advising from CSON, adhering to this guideline:
- ENGL2212 Introduction to Medical Humanities (Require Intro course)
- BIOL1300 & BIOL1310 Anatomy and Physiology I with Lab (Required for Nursing Majors)
- BIOL1320 & BIOL1330 Anatomy and Physiology II with Lab
- NURS 4264 Actualizing the Role of the Professional Nurse*
- 2 electives from the designated list. At least ONE course should be beyond those used to fulfill the core requirements and NOT come from either Nursing or Biology
As part of the minor requirements, you must take a course designated as an advanced elective during your junior or senior year. Please note that you must take this course during your junior or senior year in order for it to count towards the advanced elective requirement. To see a list of courses designated as advanced electives, please navigate to the courses page.