Major grants will be awarded to creative, innovative projects that will make a contribution to education or scholarship in the liberal arts at Boston College and that will need between $2,500 and $25,000 in funding per year. Proposals can request funding beginning in June 2019, and may be submitted by any full-time faculty member at Boston College. Proposals should be submitted via this online submission form.
The ILA Board will consider proposals in two cycles. In the fall, we will begin accepting proposals on September 16, 2019 until a fall deadline of November 1, 2019. Decisions about fall proposals will be announced by December 2, 2019, although decisions on some proposals may be deferred until the spring. We will accept proposals in the spring between February 3, 2020 and April 3, 2020, and will announce results by May 4, 2020.
For help determining your budget and amount to request, please see our Budget Guidelines.
ILA CALL FOR PROPOSALS AND GUIDELINES
The Institute for the Liberal Arts welcomes proposals from faculty for creative, innovative projects in any area of the liberal arts to be funded beginning in the academic year 2019-2020. Proposals may request funds ranging from $2,500 to $25,000 per year, and may request funding for one, two, or a maximum of three years. Examples of projects that could be funded might include (but are not limited to):
- creative project
- development of a new interdisciplinary course
- brief (e.g., week-long) residency for a visiting artist, writer, or scholar
- programming designed to lead to a new center, interdisciplinary program, or minor
- programming related to a museum exhibit, dramatic production, concert, or other event
PROPOSALS SHOULD INCLUDE:
- Two-page description of the project
- One-page statement of its relevance to liberal arts education at Boston College
Projects will be selected by the ILA director and governing board according to the following criteria:
- Quality and originality
- Feasibility within proposed time and budget
- Contribution to education and scholarship in the liberal arts
Because we want to encourage creativity and innovation, we do not have hard and fast rules for what can be supported. However, we would hope that proposals will include some of the following characteristics, as appropriate:
- Projects should ideally be interdisciplinary in nature and should include faculty from more than one department or program at Boston College.
- Projects should engage students in some way
- Projects should lead to some sort of product: a conference, publication, course, film, seminar, museum exhibit, etc.
- Projects that have secured other sources of funding will be viewed favorably
- Proposals for visiting speakers submitted to this funding pool should be for something other than the usual hour-long lecture: such as a week-long visit or a series of speakers, for instance. ILA support for single speakers will come from a different funding pool.
The Institute for Liberal Arts is committed to programming that reflects the diversity of our contemporary world as we continue to foster an inclusive university. Proposals should reveal attention to diversity, particularly in terms of race and gender, in terms of participants, invited speakers, and relevant texts and source materials.
The ILA will fund travel for Boston College Faculty only in exceptional cases. We strongly encourage faculty to use other College resources to fund their travel. We will not pay for equipment of any kind.