The Boston College Language Laboratory, serving the University’s language departments, students of English as a foreign language, and the Boston College community at large, is located in Lyons 313. In addition to its software-based, Mac-friendly Digital Language Lab (DiLL) system as well as its traditional, analog audio listening/recording stations, the facility includes:
- networked workstations (Mac OS X and Windows installations)
- laser printers
- a Web server
- a materials development workstation
- TV/video/DVD viewing rooms
- individual carrels for TV/videocassette/DVD viewing
- a CD listening station
The Lab’s media collection, computer/multimedia software, other audiovisual learning aids, and print materials including mono- and bilingual dictionaries, as well as language textbooks and activity manuals for elementary through advanced language courses, directly support and/or supplement the curriculum requirements in international language, literature, and music.
The Lab’s collection is designed to help users acquire and maintain aural comprehension, oral and written proficiency, and cultural awareness. Prominent among offerings that directly address these goals are international news broadcasts and other television programming made available through Boston College’s subscription to SCOLA Web Services. SCOLA’s online programming provides a timely resource for linguistic and cultural information in a wide variety of languages.
Students (undergraduate and graduate), faculty, and BC community members who wish to use the Language Laboratory facility and its resources will find the Laboratory staff available during the day, in the evening, and on weekends to help them operate equipment and select appropriate materials for their course-related or personal language needs. Digitized audio programs from the Lab’s collection are also available on the Boston College network 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, via the Canvas-authenticated course management tool to students officially enrolled in courses in which these programs have been adopted as curricular material.
Fall 2023 Student Staff
- Kate Edmonds, Morrissey College of Arts & Sciences, Class of 2024
- Ryan LaBonte, Morrissey College of Arts & Sciences, Class of 2027
- Stella Rogers, Morrissey College of Arts & Sciences, Class of 2026
- Skylyn Senghor, Morrissey College of Arts & Sciences, Class of 2024
- Alexis Silva, Morrissey College of Arts & Sciences, Class of 2024
- Marsha Zheng, Morrissey College of Arts & Sciences, Class of 2025
The Boston College Language Laboratory is committed to promoting and facilitating the acquisition and enhancement of language skills and cultural competency by providing the University community efficient access to an expanding collection of multimedia resources and instructional technology.