Browse past projects, organized by theme.
- International Student Recruitment and Mobility in Non-Anglophone Countries (2022) – conducted in collaboration with the Institute of Education, the National Research University Higher School of Economics (HSE) in Moscow, Russia
- Internationalization of Technical and Technological Institutions of Higher Education in the Caribbean (2019) – conducted in collaboration with the Instituto Tecnológico de las Americas (ITLA) in the Dominican Republic
- International Mapping of National Tertiary Education Internationalization Strategies and Plans (NTEISPs) (2019) – commissioned by the World Bank
- Internationalization in Medical Education: The status of the United States in a competitive global context (2019)
- A study of international students’ experiences at the Lynch School of Education and Human Development, Boston College (2019)
- Catholic Universities: Identity and Internationalization (2018) – funded by the Luksic Foundation and conducted in collaboration with the Center for Research on Educational Policy and Practice at the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile and the Milan-based Centre for Internationalisation of Higher Education
- Lynch School Faculty Internationalization Survey (2016)
- Internationalizing Higher Education Worldwide: National Policies and Programs (2015) – conducted in collaboration with the American Council on Education
- Report on the Internationalization of Higher Education (2015) – commissioned by the European Parliament, led by the Centre for Higher Education Internationalisation (CHEI) at the Università Cattolica del Sacto Cuore, in Milan, and involving the International Association of Universities (IAU), the European Association for International Education (EAIE) and CIHE.
- The Rationale of Sponsoring Students to Undertake International Study: An Assessment of National Student Mobility Scholarship Programmes (2014) – funded by the British Council and the German Academic Exchange Service
Higher Education Systems
- Philip Altbach and Hans de Wit worked on an essay on the role of state and non-state actors in higher education (2021). This work is part of UNESCO’s Global Education Monitoring Report.
- Differentiated Academic Systems for the 21st century (2017) - commissioned by the German Körber Foundation and supported by the German Rectors’ Conference (HRK), the association of the German universities, and the Universität Hamburg.
- International Advisory Councils (2016) – commissioned by the World Bank
Higher Education Management Training Schemes in the Field of Development Cooperation (2017) – funded by the German Rectors’ Conference (HRK)
Global Rankings and Competition
Global University Rankings: Impacts on Universities Worldwide (2016) - conducted in collaboration with the National Research University Higher School of Economics (Russia)
- Integrating International Faculty into the Local Academic Context (2016) – conducted in collaboration with the National Research University Higher School of Economics (Russia)
- Academic Inbreeding and Mobility in Higher Education: Global Perspectives (2015) – conducted in collaboration with the National Research University Higher School of Economics (Russia)
- Additional publication: Academic inbreeding: local challenge, global problem, Asia Pacific Education Review, Aug 2015
- Young Faculty in the Twenty-First Century (2015)
- Paying the Professoriate: A Comparison of Academic Remuneration and Contracts in 28 Countries (2012) – conducted in collaboration with the National Research University Higher School of Economics (Russia)
Teaching, Learning & The Student Experience
- Liberal Arts & Sciences Innovation in China (2017) – conducted in collaboration with Duke Kunshan University
- Trends and Issues in Doctoral Education Worldwide: An International Research Inquiry - conducted in collaboration with the Center for Institutional Studies at the National Research University-Higher School of Economics in the Russian Federation
- Refugees and Higher Education - completed with colleagues from across Boston College
Leadership & Governance
- The Global Phenomenon of Family-Owned or Managed Universities - conducted in collaboration with the Institute for Family Entrepreneurship at Babson College.
- Corruption in Higher Education