Connell School of Nursing
For Students in the William F. Connell School of Nursing
A student in the Connell School of Nursing is exempted from the Mathematics Core Curriculum Requirement if he/she received a score of 4 or higher on either the Calculus AB or Calculus BC advanced placement exam, and the result has been recorded on the student's transcript.
Otherwise, each student in the Connell School of Nursing must complete at least one Mathematics core-level course, usually from the following list:
- MT004 Finite Probability and Applications
- MT005 Linear Mathematics
- MT007 Ideas in Mathematics
- MT180 Principles of Statistics for the Health Sciences
- Any Calculus course (MT100 Calculus I or higher)
- Beginning with the class of 2010, CSON students will be required to complete MT180 Principles of Statistics for the Health Sciences in the Spring semester of freshman year to complete their mathematics core requirement.
- CSON students in the classes of 2009 and earlier will likely complete their mathematcs core curriculum requirement by taking MT004 Finite Probability and Applications. Among the non-Calculus course offerings, MT004 contains topics most applicable to the field of Nursing.
- CSON students in the classes of 2009 and earlier may be allowed to complete their mathematics core curriculum requirement with MT180, but only as space permits.
- For students with strong Mathematics backgrounds, a Calculus course at the level of MT100 Calculus I or higher may be a better and more interesting choice for you than MT004. Please be sure to visit the Calculus area of our website to see if there are Calculus options you'd prefer to taking MT004 or another core-level Mathematics course.