Event Planning 101
We understand that event planning can be difficult and confusing, so we have created a checklist to help assist with the process.
Plan Your Details
It is essential to have a clear vision as to what you want your event to look like. Be able to answer the following questions:
- How many people will be in attendance?
- Will there be food?
- Will you require bar service?
- When will the event take place?
- Will you have a speaker?
As soon as possible
Reserve A Space
Once you have an estimate of how many people will be in attendance you can begin reserving a room.
- Know your chartstring
- Create a user profile in Event Space Reservation System
- Fill out the form and request a space
- You'll receive an email from OSI confirming the space
At least 8 weeks in advance
Request Additional Services
You have secured a room! Now, do you need any help with set-up? Will you be ordering food? Do you need extension cords, projectors, etc.?
- Yes, food! Fill out the food request form
- Yes, set-up! Awesome! Let event management know with an email.
- Yes, tech! Submit the Media Technology Services Request Form
After OSI approval: 5 weeks in advance
Finalize Event Details
- Give Event Management revised counts of your attendees
At least 12 business days in advance
Provide Final Guarantees
- Give Event Management final guarantee numbers
Three business days in advance
Event Management Guidelines
No outside food is allowed to be brought into the following locations:
- Boston/Heights/Newton Rooms
- Faculty Dining Room
- Lyons (Welch) Dining Hall
- McElroy Carney Dining Hall
- McElroy Eagle’s Nest
- Stuart Snack Bar (aka the Yellow Room)
- Walsh Function Room
- Yawkey Murray Function Room
- Grounds Overtime Charges (before 7 a.m. and after 3 p.m.): $42.84/hr (4-hour min.)
- Lyons & Boston/Heights/Newton Room Supervisor: $125
- Yawkey Door Monitor: $35/hr (4hr min.)
- Electrician: $55/hr (4hr min.)
For official estimates, the organization should work with Event Management once they've met with their adviser.