Student Employment Opportunities
Conference and Event Coordinator Internship
Conference Coordinators will be responsible for the successful planning and completion of various events on the Boston College Campus. As a member of the BC community, interns are expected to demonstrate a professional attitude at all times and maintain an amiable and helpful presence with the clients and the full-time team members from the Office of Event Management. Interns will work regularly with both external and internal clients to communicate any logistical adjustments, handle potential problems, and assist on-site for positive completion of all on-campus events. The Event Management Office is open seven days a week. During the summer, interns will be scheduled five out of seven days a week, with an eight-hour workday, including an hour lunch break. Depending on event coverage, some days might require early starts or late finishes.
- Assist in event coordination from the initial client contact to final closing and invoicing of the event.
- Use EBMS Event Software system to coordinate events accordance to the clients’ needs and budgets. This requires thorough understanding of event work orders and catering details.
- Manage all communication with event contacts, which includes the internal clients, external clients, and their on-campus sponsors. Communicate any necessary information or changes to the office administrators and supervisors. Attend client meetings as needed.
- Check in on-site before each event to ensure proper setup, catering, A/V, and rental equipment delivery. Remain on-call during work hours to assist in problem resolution if needed.
- Use Microsoft Visio to develop floor plans and setup instructions for events.
- Work with external contractors to order rental furniture and communicate delivery, setup, and pickup needs.
- Work with Media Technology Services to order Audio/Visual and other technological needs for each event.
- Coordinate guest lodging with the Office of Residential Life.
- Organize files and past event records in the EBMS System.
- Other duties as assigned.
Desired Personal Skills
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills
- Comfort and professionalism on the phone and during face-to-face meetings with clients and on-campus staff
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to ask questions and seek advice from coworkers and supervisors
- Proactive problem-solving nature and a willingness to take on challenges as they arise
- Passion for the Boston College community and the University Mission
- Ability to lift approximately 20–50 lbs
Desired Computer Skills
- Experienced use of Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience with Windows operating system
- Will be expected to master the EBMS Reservation System in a timely manner
- On-campus housing provided for duration of employment (during the summer)
- One meal provided per eight-hour shift (during the summer)
Please email a copy of your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Summer Employment" listed in the subject line. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.