Founded in 1995, CIHE promotes the belief that an international perspective is needed to foster enlightened policies and practices in higher education. All of the work that we do, in the domains of research, publication, education and advisory services, is guided by our commitments.
Rigorous and ethical research and thoughtful, informed analysis
Conducting all of our activities in collaboration with others around the globe and to elevating local perspectives on all of the issues we analyze
Open access publication, translation into other languages and clear and accessible prose
Issues of social justice and, as such, we seek to acknowledge and—when possible—explicitly address global higher education inequalities through our work
Maintaining a strong focus on less-resourced and less-powerful global contexts and to promoting critical perspectives through our scholarship
Supporting the development of the next generation of international higher education scholars
Partners related to International Higher Education & associated publications
International Higher Education is translated into Russian, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese and Vietnamese. All of these translations are completed by CIHE partners around the world, including:
- the Pontifical Catholic University’s Center for Research on Educational Policy and Practice (CEPPE) in Chile
- SEMESP in Brazil
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University’s Graduate School of Education in China
- FPT University in Vietnam
- DUZ Academic Publishers in Germany
A number of associated publications are also published by CIHE partners:
- The Universidad del Norte (Colombia) hosts The Journal of Higher Education in Latin America (ESAL)
- Higher Education in Southeast Asia and Beyond (HESB) is published by the HEAD Foundation
- The International Journal of African Higher Education (IJAHE) is published by the International Network for Higher Education in Africa, a network – established in 2003 – which aims to bring together scholars, experts, practitioners, policy makers, funders, students, and others engaged in research and development focused on Africa. INHEA is jointly hosted by CIHE and the University of Kwazulu-Natal (South Africa), under the leadership of its founding director, Professor Damtew Teferra. The work undertaken by INHEA is supported by generous funds from the Carnegie corporation.
Each year, CIHE partners with World Education Services (WES) to run the WES-CIHE Summer Institute, an annual conference aimed at graduate students and other young professionals.
CIHE enjoys a close partnership with the International Association of Universities. Through this partnership, we organize joint webinars, collaborate on research projects and work together to disseminate publications.