Untitled Document

The Application Process and Timeline

Do you have rolling admissions?

Yes—we make decisions throughout the admissions cycle.

Do you have early action or early decision programs?

While we do not have an official early decision program, we encourage students to apply earlier in the admissions cycle in order to get a faster response.

Do you offer part-time or evening programs?

We offer only a full-time, three-year JD program. For information on our one-year LLM, please visit the LLM website.

Can I apply for the spring semester?

JD enrollment occurs only in the fall. 

What if I have applied to BC Law before?

You must submit a new application for each admissions cycle. The Office of Admissions retains copies of applications for one year. If you applied in consecutive years, the admissions committee may use a previous application for reference, but you must still submit a new application. 

How do I check the status of my application?

Log in with the username and password you received after submitting your application. If you don’t have your login information, contact our Office of Admissions.


When is the latest I can take the LSAT? 

You can take the LSAT as late as February to enroll in the following fall.

Can I submit my application before I take the LSAT?

You can, but the admissions committee can’t review your application without your LSAT score. Our Office of Admissions may process your application materials in advance and forward your application for review after receiving your LSAT score.

How do you treat more than one LSAT score?

We consider all LSAT scores in the application review process. We report your highest score to the American Bar Association (ABA) and the Law School Admission Council (LSAC).

Are there minimum scores to apply?

No. Although there is a range of scores that will make your application more likely to be accepted, we do consider all applicants. We make our decision based on many different aspects of an application, as well as supplemental information if provided. 

Required Materials

How many letters of recommendation should I submit?

Two. If you want to submit a third letter, you can. The LSAC Credential Assembly Service will process up to three letters. However, submitting more than the required number of documents does not necessarily grant you a competitive advantage. 

Be judicious: If you submit more than the required number of documents, your additional documents should include information or perspectives not already provided in other areas of your application.

Do you view LSAC evaluation forms?

We don’t require evaluations, and you don’t have to submit them.

If you want to submit evaluations in addition to the required letters of recommendation, we will accept and review up to two evaluations. Evaluations do not replace the letters of recommendation.

Can I submit an addendum or additional LSAC forms?

Yes—you can submit supplemental information. For example, you can submit explanations of academic or test performance. 

Be judicious, in terms of content and length, when considering submitting supplemental materials.


Do you rank the waitlist?


What can I do to increase my chances of admission from the waitlist?

You may submit supplemental material for the admissions committee to review while it considers candidates on the waitlist.

If I’m on the waitlist, when should I expect a final decision?  

There is no set timeline for the waitlist process—it’s difficult to predict if or when seats become available. 


Can I defer my admission?

We consider deferral requests on a case-by-case basis—they’re not granted automatically.

Untitled Document


What does it cost to attend BC Law?

Cost of attendance consists of two categories:

  1. Direct school expenses—tuition, fees, and books
  2. Living expenses—rent, utilities, food, transportation, etc.

Tuition is adjusted each year. For the 2018–2019 academic year, tuition is $54,750. Total cost of attendance is currently $77,238.

What is part of a financial aid package?

There are two components:

  1. Federal aid—for example, Stafford Loans, which total $20,500 per academic year
  2. Institutional aid—which includes BC Law scholarships, BC Law loans, and Perkins Loans

How do I apply for financial aid?

  • To apply for federal Stafford Loans, complete the FAFSA. 
  • For institutional aid, each loan and scholarship has its own application.

When do I apply for financial aid?

  • Our priority deadline is March 15.
  • Apply for financial aid after you submit your admission application.
  • The FAFSA for the upcoming academic year is available after January 1.
  • Complete the FAFSA by February 15 to allow time for the data to reach us before our March 15 priority deadline. 
  • Complete the FAFSA even if you have not yet received an admission decision.

Do you offer merit aid?

Yes—we award merit scholarships based on admission applications. No separate financial aid application is required. We also award our Public Service Scholarships based on merit.

When do I find out about my financial aid award?

We begin making financial aid awards for admitted students in March.

We try to provide a conditional financial aid package before our first deposit deadline. The earlier you submit your FAFSA and Need Access, the sooner we can determine your eligibility.

Why is my financial aid award conditional?

Because the data you report on your FAFSA is usually an estimate of the data you report on your tax forms.

When does my financial aid award become final?

Once we've had a chance to review your federal tax forms, federal tax schedules, and W-2s, we determine if your financial aid award needs to be adjusted. This process begins in June.

Will I receive a final financial aid award after my taxes are reviewed?

We send revised award letters to students only if we adjusted their financial aid packages after reviewing their tax forms.

How can I supplement my financial aid package after the federal and institutional components are finalized?

You can apply for federal Grad PLUS loans in an amount in excess of your directly billed expenses, like tuition and fees, and use the money for living expenses.

How do I know if my credit is good enough to qualify for Grad PLUS loans?

Request a credit report from at least one of three credit bureaus: Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion.

When should I apply for Grad PLUS loans?

Begin the process of applying for private loans in early June.

Can international students apply for financial aid?

No—both the federal government and Boston College require U.S. citizenship or permanent residency status. Some U.S. lenders offer student loans to international students, but they require a cosigner who is an American citizen.

Do you offer a Loan Repayment Assistance Program for graduates working in public interest?

Yes—BC Law graduates can apply to the Francis X. Bellotti Loan Repayment and Forgiveness Program, which supports recent graduates in law-related public interest careers. The awards are renewable annually. A scholarship committee appointed by the Dean selects recipients.


What is your Federal School Code? 


What should I do if my tax forms won't be ready until April?

Use estimated dollar amounts.

Do I complete both the student and parent sections on the FAFSA?

No—only the student section is required. 

How do I know you received my FAFSA?

If you have received your Student Aid Report (SAR) and properly listed the federal code for Boston College (002128) on your FAFSA, we should have access to your data. If you don't have your SAR and it has been four or more weeks since you completed your FAFSA, contact the Federal Student Aid office.

How do I list more than six schools on my FAFSA?

Use your SAR for multiple FAFSA submissions. You can replace schools already submitted with new schools and resubmit the SAR online. Before adding new schools, correct errors and resubmit your original SAR.

Can I use my SAR to update the estimated dollar amounts?

Yes—use your SAR for any corrections. As you begin filing your taxes, review and correct your SAR, matching your FAFSA data with your tax returns.

What if I didn’t file taxes because my income fell below the required filing minimum or because I didn't have any income?

  • Submit any W-2s or 1099s you received.
  • Indicate your filing status with the IRS by checking the appropriate box on the BC Law Financial Aid Validation Form.
  • If you didn’t have any income, you must also submit to us a signed letter stating that fact.