Job Shadow Program
boston college career center
Experience a Day in the Life of (insert your choice here).
Open to all majors and class years, the Boston College Career Center Job Shadow program pairs undergraduates with individual host sites for a day-long immersion experience over Winter Break. Over the course of a day, students gain valuable exposure into a field of interest as well as mentorship from working professionals in the industry, emerging from the program with new insight and contacts. In January 2017, over 250 job shadows were completed.
The 2018 Job Shadow program will take place from January 3-9 at sites nationwide. Registration is now closed.
Students who participate in the program can
Connect with alumni and employers
Gain insight into what it would be like to work in an organization on a day-to-day basis
Observe client/customer interactions and sit in on staff meetings
Discuss your career pursuits and aspirations with professionals
How to Register:
- Log into EagleLink between November 1–13 at 5 p.m.
- On the Jobs tab, use the advanced search function to select “Show me” and then “Job Shadow”
- In the advanced search function to search hosts by industry, click on “More Filters” then under “Primary Industry Cluster (Job Shadow Openings)” select industries of interest. Hold down the “Ctrl” button to select more than one.
- You can select state(s) and shadow dates in advanced search as well.
- Ignore the “Job Shadow Flag” selection.
- View registered hosts, companies, locations, and dates then select 3 job shadows of interest.
- Upload your résumé, tell us why you're interested, and your application is done!
Host Sites Include:
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- Liberty Mutual
- Digitas LBi
- Success Academy Charter Schools
- U.S. Olympic Committee
- Michael Kors
- Brigham & Women's Hospital
Frequently Asked Questions:
Each shadow opportunity is for one day between January 3-9, 2018.
Yes! As long as the shadow opportunities are on different days and you are able to arrive on time to each host site. The application will ask you how many shadows you would like to complete.
In the advanced search function to search hosts by industry, click on “More Filters” then under “Primary Industry Cluster (Job Shadow Openings)” select industries of interest. Hold down the “Ctrl” button to select more than one.
- You can select state(s) and shadow dates in advanced search "More Filters" as well.
- Ignore the “Job Shadow Flag” selection.
There is not funding available for completing Job Shadows. If financial burden would prevent you from completing a Job Shadow in your area, please apply for a shadow and contact email@example.com with your specific question once you’ve been matched.
You are able to select up to three job shadows of interest when you apply. Our matching process will make every attempt to match you in at least one of your top three choices.
Students are matched based upon their industry and shadow experience preferences as well as the criteria of the hosting organization.
You will be contacted by a member of the Career Center staff with your job shadow match details by late November.
Yes. Once you are matched, you will be able to request early-move in on the Agora Portal.
There will be mandatory job shadow orientation sessions following Thanksgiving break that will help prepare you. The session will include questions to ask during the day, what to wear, how to follow-up, etc. For now, make a transportation plan and conduct initial research about the industry and company you would like to shadow.
Your host’s contact information will be emailed to you following your attendance at the orientation session.
We strongly encourage students to attend all job shadows that they have been matched with. Please email your Job Shadow host directly, and CC firstname.lastname@example.org at least 48 hours in advance. Failure to honor this commitment can result in loss of EagleLink access. In replacement of your job shadow experience, we ask you to reflect on the following questions:
1) Is there an opportunity for you to reach out to your job shadow host to thank them, even though you are not able to attend, and arrange a time to speak or meet briefly to facilitate an exploratory career conversation?
2) In addition to the above, what is 1 thing you can do over your winter break (and before spring classes start) to help you move forward to clarifying or obtaining your career goals?
There will be several orientation session options, so that students will be able to attend at least one session. If you have a schedule conflict with all orientation sessions, please email email@example.com to schedule a time to come to the Career Center and receive the necessary information.
Send a personalized thank you note to each of your hosts including what you appreciated and found helpful from the shadowing opportunity.
Job Shadow Thank-You Note Example:
Dear Ms. Hawk,
Thank you for providing me with the opportunity to gain more detailed information about the (BLANK) industry. It was very helpful to learn about your position and hear your insight about the direction/growth/rewards and challenges of the (BLANK) industry. As a result of meeting you and your colleagues, I am even more interested in (major/industry of interest) and plan to take further classes in (BLANK) as you suggested! I hope to have more conversations with you in the future. Thank you for your time!