Frequently Asked Questions

Why do students go to Counseling Services?

Students consult UCS for a wide range of problems and concerns. Among the matters that bring students to counseling are adjustment difficulties, problems in relationships, situational crises, depression, anxiety, eating disorders, and substance abuse. Additional campus resources are available at BC-related information.

Is there a charge?

There are no charges for the services provided by University Counseling Services. More details of our eligibility are available on our services page.

What can I expect from my first visit?

We refer to a first counseling appointment as an "intake." In this session, the counselor will help the student talk about what is troubling them, and begin to identify the nature of the problem and what can be done to help. For more information view our Get Help webpage

Can I see a psychiatrist?

We provide psychiatric services and offer medication in the treatment of some emotional problems. Psychiatric services can be an important part of the process of counseling and psychotherapy. Students may see our psychiatrists on the recommendation of their clinician. Psychiatric medicines are prescribed only to those students who are in therapy with a clinician from Counseling Services.

What is an emergency?

A clinician is "on call" at all times. Students who need urgent assistance may speak with the psychological emergency clinician and decide what further services may be needed. Students seen on emergency typically are in crisis and cannot wait for a regularly scheduled appointment. If this is an emergency visit our Get Help webpage.

Will I be referred off-campus?

Most students who seek services at UCS are seen for short-term counseling. Some students will be referred to off campus practitioners when they have the need for more long-term, specialized, or intensive treatment than we can provide.

What can I do if I am worried about a friend?

We encourage students to consult with UCS if they are worried about a friend or roommate. Students can speak confidentially with a counselor about a friend and receive advice about how to deal with a troubling situation. Consultations can be obtained by making an appointment with an UCS clinician.