Eagle Exchange is an interactive virtual platform that fosters connections between students and Boston College alumni. You can use Eagle Exchange to build your professional network, ask career-related questions, find alumni mentors, apply to projects to build skills, and more. It is up to you to make the most of your Eagle Exchange account. The guide below will help you get started.
How To Guide
Activate Your Account
All current Boston College students have access to a free account on Eagle Exchange.
- Visit eagleexchange.bc.edu
- Click the “Join the Community” button.
- Select the "BC Login" button and log in using your Agora login credentials.
Complete Your Profile
Set yourself up for success by completing your profile. You will want to make a good impression when you begin connecting with alumni. This process is similar to creating a LinkedIn profile.
- Customize your profile by clicking on the circle at the top right hand corner of your profile. Scroll down and click on “my profile”.
- Complete all sections of your profile, including work experience, courses, extracurricular activities, and more. Add a photo and summary to help your profile stand out.
- Eagle Exchange will curate a feed of suggested alumni for you to connect with based on your preferences.
- Like your resume and LinkedIn profile, make sure to keep your profile up to date.
Find a Mentor
The key to success on Eagle Exchange is actively reaching out to alumni. You have access to search for and message any alum on the platform. However, alumni do not have access to search for and reach out to you as a student. Therefore, it is up to you to send the first message.
- Go to the “Explore the Community” tab to view a list of alumni on the platform.
- Use the filters to narrow down your search. You can filter by industry, major, class year, and more. Based on what you are looking for help with, you can also filter by help topics.
- Once you find an interesting alum, click on the message button within their profile. You can craft your own message or choose a pre-written template and make it your own.
- You can choose to request a meeting or simply send a message. If you do request a meeting, you will need to select a topic you would like to discuss and decide how you would like to meet (phone, video, etc.).
- Click send and monitor your email to wait for a reply. Eagle Exchange will prompt alumni to respond to you within a timely manner.
- You may come across an alum that you are not able to send a message to. Alumni can set quotas based on the number of students they are able to help at a single time. If you find you can’t send a message, the alum is at their quota. You will need to wait a week or two before messaging them.
Alumni are waiting to hear from you!
Alumni are joining Eagle Exchange because they want to help current students. We recommend you reach out to at least 3 alumni per month. Possible topics of discussion include:
- General advice and networking
- Choosing a major
- Graduate or professional school
- Identifying skills
- Identity in the workplace
- Mock interviewing
- Resume critique
- Work/life balance
Join a Group
Groups allow you to connect with others who share your interests. You can join a group to access select resources, network with members, and participate in group discussions.
- Go to the “Groups” tab to view a list of all the groups. Eagle Exchange has groups for identity and shared interests as well as every career cluster.
- Join any group that interests you. Within each group, you can view members, resources, and a discussion board.
Participate in a Discussion
The discussion board is a place you can learn from others or share your knowledge. Use the discussion board to ask questions (anonymously or as yourself), answer questions, and browse existing questions and answers.
- Go to the “Discussion” tab. Add a question to the discussion feed by typing in the box at the top of the feed. Check the “Post anonymously” box if you want to post anonymously; the default is posting as yourself.
- Scroll through the discussion feed to see questions. Use the search box in the upper right if you’re interested in a particular topic or person. Answer a question by clicking in the text field below the question.
Apply for an Alumni Project
Eagle Exchange has a project marketplace where alumni can post short-term, meaningful projects for students to complete virtually. Projects offer a non-traditional way for you to gain real-world experience while working with experienced professionals. Alumni will act as mentors to guide you along the way.
- Go to the “Projects” tab to view a list of open projects.
- Use the filters to narrow down your search. You can filter by industry and time duration. Scroll through the projects and click into them to view details.
- Once you find an interesting project, click apply and fill out the details. The alum supervisor will review your application and reach out to you if you are accepted. You will work directly with the alum as you complete the project.
Build Your Skills
Alumni are actively adding projects for Boston College students. Types of projects include:
- Design a logo
- Create a social media plan
- Design a website
- Develop SEO strategies
- Compose a song
- Conduct background research
- Map arsenic in ground soil
Why Use Eagle Exchange
“[My Alumni Mentor] was so willing to offer me honest advice, get to know me on a deeper, personal level and was incredibly easy to talk to! I felt an instant connection with her, and our conversation was very genuine. She offered me help on how best to take my next step and gave me further contacts to expand my knowledge.”
“[My Alumni Mentor] was very helpful and encouraged me to discover my path. He was not only helpful in informing me of his own work, but also through his willingness to look over my resume and connect in the future.”
“[My Alumni Mentor] gave awesome advice and connected to me to valuable resources and opportunities (one at her own company). She even offered to write me a future letter of recommendation!”