of students who share their interests receive a message from a recruiter on Handshake
From searching jobs and internships to making an appointment with a career coach, Handshake is your go-to tool for all things career at Boston College. In Summer 2020, Handshake replaced EagleLink as the official career management platform for BC. The following guide will help you make the most of your Handshake account.
How To Guide
Complete Your Profile
The key to success on Handshake is completing your profile and customizing your preferences. Once you fill out your profile, Handshake will curate a feed of jobs, internships, and events that match your interests and skills.
- To begin, log in to your Handshake account. If you’ve never logged in to Handshake, activate your account by logging in to the Handshake platform using your Agora Username and password. The activation process takes about 5 minutes.
- Customize your profile by clicking on the circle with your initials at the top right hand corner of your profile. Scroll down and click on “my profile”.
- Complete all sections of your profile, including work experience, courses, extracurricular activities, and more. Add a photo and summary to help your profile stand out.
- Fill out your interests and skills sections. This is key to employers discovering your profile. If you change your interests, you can update your profile at any time.
- Like your resume and LinkedIn profile, make sure to keep your profile up to date and relevant.
Find Jobs and Internships
All of the top employers, including 100% of the Fortune 500, tech start-ups, nonprofits, and more are hiring students like you on Handshake. Use your Handshake account to find and apply to job and internship opportunities.
- To find postings, log in to your Handshake account and click “jobs” at the top of your profile. Narrow down opportunities by using filters and keywords. Click on “on-campus interviews” to find postings linked to campus interviews.
- Once you find opportunities you’re interested in, save the postings by clicking on the blue save icon. Handshake will send you notifications and similar postings based on what you saved.
- You can save your resumes and cover letters in your profile to speed up the application process. To upload a document, click on the circle with your initials at the top right hand corner of your profile. Scroll down and click on “documents”.
- If you want to search for specific employers, click on the “employers” page on your dashboard. There you can type in the names of companies that you’d like to learn more about and see their open positions. You can also read reviews from students who previously worked there.
- You can follow employers you like and receive email alerts when these employers post new jobs and events on Handshake. Following employers also helps improve your job recommendations.
Discover Career Opportunities
Handshake is not only a place to apply for jobs and internships, it is also a tool to explore career possibilities. Handshake has information to help you learn more about different jobs and fields.
- To begin exploring, log in to your Handshake account and click “career paths” in your main dashboard.
- Type keywords into the search bar to narrow down the list and find roles related to your interests.
- Each role has a description, average salary, list of top cities, and list of similar roles. You can also see a list of current open positions in Handshake.
Schedule Appointments With Career Coaches
Handshake is where you will schedule appointments with our career coaches.
- To schedule an appointment, log in to your Handshake account and click “Career Center” in the top menu. This will bring you to the Boston College Career Center page. Click “appointments” to access the appointment scheduler page.
- You can directly access the appointment scheduler with this link. We recommend that you bookmark this link for quick reference.
RSVP for Events
Handshake is where you will find all Boston College career events as well as relevant employer and local events.
- To find an event, log in to your Handshake account and click “events” in the top menu.
- Select “event search” to find a list of upcoming events. Use the filters to narrow down the list.
- Click on the event to find a description and register to attend.
Connect With Employers and Students
Through your Handshake account, you can directly connect with all the students and employers on the platform. There are thousands of employers on Handshake and over six million college students and recent alumni from a wide variety of schools.
How to connect with employers:
- Use the Q&A feature to ask career tips from employers. To access, log in to your Handshake account and click “Q&A” in the top menu. Browse the discussion board and add your own questions.
- After you complete your profile, you’ll have a strong chance of getting messages from employers. Most often, recruiters will send messages to invite you to RSVP for an upcoming career fair or event, to apply for a job or internship, or to help you learn more about their company.
How to connect with students:
- To directly connect with students, log in to your Handshake account and click “students” in the top menu.You can search for students by school year, major, previous employers, and student organizations. If you prefer, you can narrow your search to just Boston College students.
- Another way to find students to connect with is to look under the employers section. When you click on an employer, you can see students who currently or previously worked there. You can then directly connect with them to ask questions about their experience.
Download Mobile App
Handshake currently provides an app for both iOS and Android, available for free in the respective app stores. You can use it to explore events, fairs, and jobs (favorite them and then apply), access On-Campus Interviews and add work experiences, organizations, and volunteering to your profile. You can also receive notifications for applications deadlines and messages from employers.
- Search for "Handshake" on your app store. The app has a red icon. The app is free and you can download it directly to your phone.
- Search for "Boston College" in the blue search bar when you open the app.
- Select the "School Login" button and enter your Agora Username and Password to enter.
messages were sent by employers to students last year on Handshake