Through the Compass Mentoring Program, incoming first-year AHANA students can connect with upperclass mentors, develop friendships, and gain a strong sense of community as they navigate their first semester of college.
Opening Ceremony- September 13
The Opening Ceremony is a day-long retreat focused on bringing together the mentors and mentees for a day of bonding with the Compass community. The Opening Ceremony is the first requirement of the Compass Mentoring Program as you embark on this semester-long journey of “Finding Your Direction at BC.”
1:1 with your mentor - Once before September 30th
As the next part of your semester-long journey with Compass, you will secure a relationship by meeting with your mentor. This meeting will be a casual opportunity to speak with your mentor about your fears, excitements, and goals as you transition to Boston College and more. You are responsible to schedule this time with your personal mentor, and this meeting must take place before September 30th.
Dare to Dine
The Dare to Dine series is designed to create an opportunity for Compass mentees to engage in identity-based conversation over a meal with Compass mentors, peers, and other AHANA faculty and staff across the institution. Mentees are required to participate in at least 2 Dare to Dine dinners during the fall semester.
- 10/5 @ 5:30pm - First Session: Relationships
- 10/13 @ 6pm - Second Session: Academics and Involvement
- 10/21 @ 5:30pm - Third Session - Parties and Alcohol
- 10/29 @ 6pm - Fourth Session: Self Care
- 11/9 @ 5:30pm - Fifth Session: Privilege
- 11/17 @ 6pm - Sixth Session: Authenticity
- 11/23 @ 5:30pm - Seventh Session: Making Difficult Choices
- 12/2 @ 6pm - Eighth Session - Idenity and Intersectionality
Register for a Dinner
Choose Your Own Adventure
In order to nurture your newfound AHANA community, you are required to participate in at least one Choose Your Own Adventure activity, wherein you will further your connection with your peers and mentors. While only one Adventure is required for you to graduate from the Compass Mentoring Program, mentees are encouraged to participate in as many programs as they would like.
Museum Day- September 20
- Compass Mentees will have an opportunity to sign up for a museum of interest that is covered under their BC acceptance. Groups will be formed based on interest and mentors will lead a group of mentees out for a day of exploring the chosen museum. Museums include: MFA, Gardner Museum, Museum of Science, Aquarium, Harvard Museum of Natural History & Peabody Museum.
Compass BBQ- September 25
- Compass BBQ during Parents Weekend invites students to take a break in between classes to eat with, meet, and engage with other Compass participants, mentors and Compass interns. Parents are welcome, and are invited to join us for lunch!
Compass Connection- November
- Compass Connection is a networking event where Compass alumni and AHANA faculty and staff are invited to discuss the opportunities and challenges of navigating university life and beyond.
Pinning Ceremony- December 6
The Pinning Ceremony is the culmination of the Compass Mentoring Program. Mentees who have completed the Four Directions of Compass will be invited to this formal event where you will enjoy great food and conversation with your Compass peers, as well as receive your pin as a symbol of your completion of and dedication to the Compass Program. Only mentees who have successfully completed the Four Directions of Compass and its requirements will be invited to attend this event.