The Emerging Leader Program: Leaders for Others
Since its inception in 1988, the Emerging Leader Program (ELP) has earned the reputation of being a premiere leadership program for first-year students at Boston College. Each year, 50 first-year students are selected to participate in the one-year leadership development program. Guided by the Social Change Model of leadership development, ELP aims to form leaders for others. By participating in ELP, students develop the leadership skills and competencies necessary to facilitate positive change on campus and in their communities.
This yearlong leadership development program will equip and empower students to engage in leadership during their time at Boston College and beyond through large and small group activities and discussions, events, experiential outings, service, and mentorship.
Application Deadline: Friday, July 14th, 2023 at 11:59 PM.
ELP Small Groups
Weekly ELP Meetings
Signature ELP Events
- Move onto campus early and attend the ELP Welcome on Tuesday, August 23rd, 2022* This move-in date is very tentative and subject to University approval.
- Participate in the ELP Retreat from Wednesday, August 24th - Thursday, August 25th, 2023* This retreat date is very tentative and subject to University approval.
- Participate in weekly ELP meetings during both Fall 2022 and Spring 2023 semesters on Tuesdays from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
- Participate in ELP Team-Building Day on Saturday, October 8th, 2022* and the ELP Trip to Downtown Boston on Saturday, April 15th, 2023*
- Complete the five ELP Core Experiences:
- Participate in a Student Involvement Fair during either the Fall 2022 or Spring 2023 semesters
- Participate in a Wellness Coaching Session during either the Fall 2022 or Spring 2023 semesters
- Participate in a Bowman AHANA & Intercultural Center B.R.A.V.E. Conference during either the Fall 2022 or Spring 2023 semesters
- Participate in Leadership Day 2023 on Saturday, January 28th, 2023*
- Participate in one hour of weekly service at the Saint Columbkille Partnership School during both Fall 2022 and Spring 2023 semesters
- Be enrolled full time (12 credit hours) at Boston College for both Fall 2022 and Spring 2023 semesters
- Pay a $150 non-refundable program fee**
- Maintain open communication with peers and program leaders
- Be open to learning and challenging oneself
**All dates are tentative and subject to change and adjustments to the program may be made to be compliant with state, local, and University guidelines related to COVID-19.
**Under a number of circumstances, this fee may be waived. Please contact us at email@example.com with questions or concerns.
Emerging Leader Program (ELP) Facilitators foster the leadership development of first-year students while also guiding them through their transition into the Boston College community. ELP Facilitators provide a meaningful mentoring relationship while helping new students learn what it means to be a leader for others.
The 2022–2023 ELP Facilitators
ELP Senior Coordinator
LSEHD ‘24, Applied Psychology and Human Development
Hometown: Denver, Colorado