The Emerging Leader Program: Leaders for Others
Since its inception in 1988, the Emerging Leader Program (ELP) has earned the reputation of being a premiere leadership program for first-year students at Boston College. Each year, 50 first-year students are selected to participate in the one-year leadership development program. Guided by the Social Change Model of leadership development, ELP aims to form leaders for others. By participating in ELP, students develop the leadership skills and competencies necessary to facilitate positive change on campus and in their communities.
This yearlong leadership development program will equip and empower students to engage in leadership during their time at Boston College and beyond through large and small group activities and discussions, events, experiential outings, service, and mentorship.
Application Deadline: Sunday, July 11th, 2021 at 11:59 PM
ELP Small Groups
Weekly ELP Meetings
Signature ELP Events
- Move onto campus early and attend the ELP Welcome on Tuesday, August 24th, 2021*
- Participate in the ELP Retreat from Wednesday, August 25th - Thursday, August 26th, 2021*
- Participate in weekly ELP meetings during both Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 semesters on Tuesdays from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
- Participate in ELP Team-Building Day on Saturday, October 2nd, 2021* and the ELP Trip to Downtown Boston on Saturday, April 16th, 2022*
- Complete the five ELP Core Experiences:
- Participate in a Student Involvement Fair during either the Fall 2021 or Spring 2022 semesters
- Participate in a Wellness Coaching Session during either the Fall 2021 or Spring 2022 semesters
- Participate in a BAIC B.R.A.V.E. Conference during either the Fall 2021 or Spring 2022 semesters
- Participate in Leadership Day 2022 on Saturday, January 29th, 2022*
- Participate in one hour of weekly service at the Saint Columbkille Partnership School during both Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 semesters
- Be enrolled full time (12 credit hours) at Boston College for both Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 semesters
- Pay a $150 non-refundable program fee**
- Maintain open communication with peers and program leaders
- Be open to learning and challenging oneself
*All dates are tentative and subject to change in accordance with the University's COVID-19 policies and procedures.
**Under a number of circumstances, this fee may be waived. Please contact us at email@example.com with questions or concerns.
Emerging Leader Program (ELP) Facilitators foster the leadership development of first-year students while also guiding them through their transition into the Boston College community. ELP Facilitators provide a meaningful mentoring relationship while helping new students learn what it means to be a leader for others.