Graduate Student Association

The Graduate Student Association (GSA) of Boston College is a student-run group that organizes programming and advocates for issues of importance to graduate students across the University. Additionally, the GSA coordinates the function and activities of the Graduate Students of Color Association, the Graduate Pride Alliance, and the Graduate International Student Association.

What do I have to do to be considered for a grant?

You need to be full-time or part-time Boston College graduate student in one of the following schools: the Carroll Graduate School of Management, the Connell Graduate School of Nursing, the Lynch Graduate School of Education, the Graduate School of the Morrissey College of Arts and Sciences, the School of Social Work, or the School of Theology & Ministry.

You must completely fill out the Individual request form prior to the deadlines. Please bear in mind that the GSA deadlines are always in advance of your conference date. Consult the table below for more information:

The GSA recognizes the importance of research and professional development while you are a graduate student. With this understanding, we want to help out as many students as possible with the expenses that you incur in the process. While we have concluded the grant application cycle for Fall 2020 and Spring 2021, please check back in Fall 2021 for additional opportunities, or email

What are the restrictions on the GSA Conference, Research and Professional Development Grant Application?

  • GSA Conference and Research grants can be applied to conference and research-related travel expenses only, which include airfare, transportation, and lodging (Airbnbs are ineligble for reimbursement, per university policy). Food-related expenses are ineligible and will not be reimbursed. Grants cannot be used as part of remuneration. 

  • If expenses incurred are less than the grant awarded, then the balance of funds will be returned to the GSA. (For example, if you are awarded $125, but only spend $100, then the $25 balance is returned to the GSA.)

Treasurer Resources

Being a treasurer for a graduate student organization can be a lot of work—specifically, paperwork! To ask any questions that aren't addressed below, or to schedule an appointment, contact GSA Director of Finance, at

Helpful Hints: 

All treasurers must undergo treasurer training with the Director of Finance at the Murray House before receiving a p-card.

You need to reconcile your p-card every month for which there is a transaction. Failure to do so will result in a freezing of your account.

If you need to spend money with your p-card, make sure enough funds are loaded onto the card. If you need more, apply for a p-card increase