Skip to main content

Secondary navigation:

BCTemp Request

temporary pool — manager instructions


The Department of Human Resources at Boston College offers temporary employment opportunities to qualified secretarial, clerical, and service applicants through its Boston College Temporary Pool (known as the BCTemp Pool). For BC managers, the BCTemp Pool offers short-term clerical, service, and administrative help for special projects or for vacant regular support staff positions such as Administrative Secretary, Receptionist, Customer Service Representatives, Database Specialist, Administrative Assistant, Data Entry Clerk, and Office Assistant.

The BCTemp Pool will provide a qualified temporary person for a day, a week, a month, or more (up to a maximum of six months for an open position). All BCTemp Pool applicants are carefully screened, tested, and interviewed by the Department of Human Resources. Please review the information below about funding a BCTemp, requesting a BCTemp, and reporting hours for a BCTemp. If you need additional information, please contact the Employment Office by phone at (617) 552-3330.

Reasons for Requesting a BCTemp

  • Vacant slot due to promotion, transfer, or termination
  • Special project
  • Need for coverage during leave(s) of absence

Steps to Hire a Temp Pool Employee

  1. Department will need to obtain a temp pool position number from Position Managment
  2. Department will open a Temp Pool Request in eRecruit
  3. Once Temp has been selected, Employment will attach applicant to the request and the department will put in the offer and the Temp will be hired

Funding a BCTemp

A department must pay for a BCTemp through its department budget. The subcode in which to place the funds is 53150. If coverage is needed because a position is vacant, funds can be transferred from the vacant position (office and clerical staff only). In the case of a special project, funding must come from the department's operating budget. For leaves of absence or other extraordinary absence, a department can request funding from the appropriate Vice President.

After a BCTemp is assigned to your department and a rate is determined, a Budget Transfer must be completed and submitted online through PeopleSoft Financials. This is essential for the BCTemp to receive payment and must be received by the Budget Office (through PeopleSoft Financials) prior to the BCTemp’s first day of work.

How do BCTemps get paid?

  • Before you begin work as a new BCTemp Pool employee, you must fill out personnel and payroll forms at the Department of Human Resources, 129 Lake Street.
  • You are responsible for reporting your hours through Kronos Time Reporting.  
  • Your first check will be available to you the second Friday of your employment.
  • Temporary employees are paid only for the hours they work. Temporary employees are not paid for holidays, lunch breaks, or early release. Hourly pay rates are based on the requirements of each temp assignment.

Reporting BCTemp Hours

BCTemps report their hours via Kronos. For Kronos Time Approval Instructions, please click here.