Identity Finder (ID Finder)
Boston College uses Identity Finder as a tool to aid in the process of finding and handling confidential data on faculty and staff computers. ID Finder scans computers for credit card numbers and social security numbers only. This type of information is called Personally Identifiable Information (PII).
NOTE: ID Finder may not find all Personally Identifiable Information (PII) on your computer and it also may think some information on your computer is PII, when it is not. This is to be expected.
Using ID Finder
Version 8.1 of ID Finder software will automatically be installed on your computer.
ID Finder automatically scans computers twice a week and the results are sent to Data Security Officers (DSOs) [BC sign-in required]. If you have PII on your computer, you will receive an email asking you to remove the PII from your computer or move it to a secure location.
- Learn where to store confidential data.
- For questions about confidential data and handling scan results, contact your Data Security Officer (DSO) [BC sign-in required].
- For questions or technical issues about the Identity Finder software, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Identity Finder online help
- Looking for old ID Finder pages? Go to the old ID Finder pages.
For Data Security Officers (DSOs)
See an example email that DSOs can send to introduce ID Finder (BC sign-in required) to their users.
Learn about the ID Finder Console: