Identity Finder (ID Finder)
Boston College uses Identity Finder as a tool to aid in the process of finding and handling confidential data on faculty and staff computers. ID Finder scans computers for confidential information including credit card numbers and social security numbers. This type of information is called Personally Identifiable Information (PII).
NOTE: ID Finder may not find all Personally Identifiable Information (PII) on your computer and it also may think some information on your computer is PII, when it is not. This is to be expected.
Need More Information?
- Learn more from the Identity Finder FAQs.
- For installation questions, call the Help Center at 617-552-HELP (4357).
- For questions about confidential data and handling scan results, contact your Data Security Officer (DSO).
Using ID Finder
|Install ID Finder||Automatic: No Action Required||Installing Identity Finder|
|Scanning||Automatic: No Action Required
||Scanning for confidential data
|Handling Scan Results
||Windows 7 & Vista||Mac OS X
|Advanced Scanning and Remediation
||Advanced Remediation for Windows
||Handling Personally Identifiable Information (PII) in Zipped Files|
For Data Security Officers (DSO)
- Identity Finder FAQs for Data Security Officers (DSO)
- Working with Identity Finder Reports (PDF) Please note: To view Adobe Reader® (PDF) formatted files, download the free Adobe Reader.