Using Fetch to Tranfer Files to the WWW.BC.EDU Web Server
- Connect to the BC network using VPN (Virtual Private Networking). If your computer hasn't been configured to use BC's VPN, visit our VPN Instructions Pages.
- Launch Fetch
- In the New Connection window, enter the following information about the Host Server, your User ID and your password:
- In the Host box, type www.bc.edu
- In the User ID box, type your BC username
- In the Password box, type your BC password
- In the Initial Folder box, type in the path to your web site's root folder. This will start with "/filer/bcedu/prod/data/" and will continue with the parts of your site's URL that you see in a brower. For example if your site were at: /offices/help/ you would add "offices/help" to your path to make: "/filer/bcedu/prod/data/offices/help".
- Click on the heart shaped icon to create a shortcut for your BC website. In the dialog that opens, name the shortcut. This is the label for the link you'll select when you want to connect to your site.
- Click Connect.
- This will connect to the FTP server and display your site's files.
- To upload a file, click PUT. This will open a dialog allowing you to select local files for upload. You can also drag a file from another folder on your Mac into the Fetch window and it will uploaded to the folder whose contents are showing.
- To download a file, select it and push get, or just drag it into the folder on your computer where you want it.
- To disconnect from the server, just close the Fetch window. Quit Fetch when you are done transfering files.
- Use the Fetch Help menu on your Mac for additional information about using Fetch.