Healthy recipes from BC Dining
HOW TO MAKE KALE STEM PESTO
Filmed at fellow Menus of Change member Northeastern, Chef Frank Bailey shows how to make a delicious and easy pesto.
Kale & Apple Salad
1 bunch kale
Juice of 1 lemon
1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 unpeeled apple, diced
2 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1. Wash kale well and pat dry. Strip kale leaves from the stems, discarding stems; tear leaves into small pieces and place in a large salad bowl
2. Add lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper
3. Add diced apple and honey; toss well to combine. Sprinkle with walnuts.
Grilled Peach & Kale Salad
1 head of kale, cut in half
2 peaches, halved and pitted
2 tablespoons of olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1. Preheat grill to medium-high
2. Drizzle kale and peaches with oil and season with salt and pepper. Place peaches on the grill, cut side down, along with kale. Grill for 2 minutes and flip kale. Grill for additional 2-3 minutes and remove kale and paches from the grill.
3. Dice peaches into 1/2 inch cubes and chop up kale. Toss the kale with the honey and balsamic vinegar. If you feel that it is dry, add 1-2 more tablespoons of olive oil.
4. Toss in peaches with salad and generously grate with Parmesan cheese.