Frequently Asked Questions
What are the accommodations like for live in/on staff?
The accommodations for the professional staff apartments vary from building to building. Apartment types include one or two bedrooms and one or two bathrooms. All apartments come with BC cable including over 60 channels, Internet service, and individual heating and air conditioning units. Most apartments include a dishwasher and garbage disposal. The common space area in each apartment comes furnished with a plush couch, arm chair with ottoman, coffee table and end table. Other furniture is similar to the rest of the University housing such as lamps, dressers, desks, and kitchen and dining tables and chairs. You may bring your own furniture items and University items can be removed. Additionally, the residence halls and professional apartments are smoke free.
Who can live with me?
Boston College allows married couples to live together in the residence halls. Other non married partners, friends, or roommates may not live with professional staff members.
Can I have a pet?
Unfortunately, professional staff members that live on campus cannot have pets in University residence halls. Fish are the only exception to this pet policy.
Do I get a meal plan?
Live-in professional staff members get an allotment on their Eagle One Card to use towards meals. This money can be used at all on campus dining facilities, as well as a number of off campus restaurants.
What else are Eagle Bucks used for?
Other useful ways that staff typically uses Eagle Bucks include paying for taxis through Veterans Cabs or getting dry cleaning done at Your Cleaners. If you would like a detailed list of vendors that accept Eagle Bucks please go to www.bc.edu/offices/id.
How do I do laundry?
Each area has laundry facilities. Also, many staff apartments have a stackable washer/dryer unit.
What is parking like at Boston College?
Each live-in professional staff member may purchase a yearly parking permit for a nominal fee. These permits not only allow you to park close to your residence hall but also allow access to a covered garage.
What professional development opportunities are available to Residential Life staff at Boston College?
Professional development opportunities within Residential Life at Boston College include but are not limited to:
- Boston College academic courses with tuition remission benefits
- Time off provided for conference attendance and involvement
- Employee development programs through Human Resources
- Technology training sessions
- Facilitation and participation in retreat programs
- Leadership and involvement in international and domestic service/immersion experiences
- Intersections faculty and staff seminars
- Mentorship opportunities with students and other BC staff members
- Involvement on committees through the Department of Residential Life, Division of Student Affairs, and the University
- Additional workshops and resources provided by the Office of Residential Life Professional Development Committee