Sophomore Area Assistant Director
office of residential life
Basic Function and Responsibility
The Assistant Director for Residential Life, Sophomore Area is a 12-month live-in position with academic-term and summer responsibilities that include the administration of a residential area, the supervision and development of professional and paraprofessional staff, student development, and operations.
Primary Areas of Responsibility
- Supervise and evaluate 3 professional Resident Directors and up to 49 Resident Assistants. Indirect supervision is exercised over 1 Graduate Resident Director through a professional Resident Director.
- Assists with the planning and coordination of training programs for Resident Directors and Resident Assistants
- Plans and conducts area professional staff meetings on a weekly basis
- Meets with Resident Directors on a weekly basis to provide direction, support, and feedback
Student Development/Community Standards
- Establishes a student development and educational programming model within the residential area that is consistent with the Jesuit values of the University
- Responsible for creating inclusive communities that support students from a variety of backgrounds and foster learning and respect for diversity
- Responsible for Academic Initiative Programming
- Initiates and implements at least one area-wide program a semester
- Develops a semester programming calendar including weekend events
- Serves Chief Judicial Officer of the residential area
- Serves as editor of all newsletters within his/her area
- Responds to student emergencies of a physical and/or emotional nature
- Available to students in his/her residential area on an informal basis (general visibility)
- Oversees the Sophomore Leadership Council in his/her area
- Establishes and maintains communication with students and staff in the area through individual contacts, meetings, and discussions
- Responsible for the operational management in his/her area
- Facilitates the opening and closing of his/her residential area
- Develops and oversees management of a residential programming budget
- Ensures follow-up on all damage work orders and furniture requests within his/her assigned area
- Coordinates area-wide efforts to control hall damage and vandalism
- Assists in the health and safety inspection process
- Oversees planned furniture and damage inspections
- Serves as Senior Administrator on call for crisis and emergency situations involving BC students living on and off campus
- Serves as the senior member of the University on-call system to respond to emergencies
- Responds to students and parents regarding Residential Life and University issues
- Assists with duty during sporting and special events on weekends and evenings
- Acts as a liaison with Boston College Police Department, University Counseling Services, Primary Care Center, faculty, and other University offices during crises
- Serves on departmental and University-wide committees
- Acts as a liaison with Faculty, the Jesuit community, and appropriate University offices
- Responds to students and parents on Residential Life issues
- Assists with the implementation of University and Departmental goals and objectives
- Approximately five times a year, acts as the Senior Administrator on call for the entire University
Coordinates specific assignments as assigned by the Associate Director for Residential Life.
Direction is received from the Associate Director for Residential Life.
Supervision is exercised over 3 professional Resident Directors and 49 Resident Assistants and an Office Assistant. Indirect supervision is exercised over 1 Graduate Resident Director through a professional Resident Director.
Master's degree in Counseling, Higher Education, Student Personnel Administration, or related fields; plus a minimum of three years of full-time Residential Life experience. Background including professional supervision is preferred.
Please apply online with Boston College Human Resources.