- The Hire Form is used to hire Faculty and Non-BC Student Employees into an open position.
- Instructions for completing the Hire Form are available on the Department of Human Resources website.
- The Hire Form is not used to hire a new staff employee (professional, administrative, office, clerical and service) or add a job for an existing staff employee. See Initiating the Recruitment/Hiring Process for staff hiring instructions.
- The Hire Form is not used to hire hourly paid BC student employees. These students are hired in PeopleSoft via Agora. See Student Hiring documentation for detailed instructions.
- The Hire Form is not used to hire Post Docs/Researchers. See Post Doc/Research Hire Process for instructions.
Questions and Answers
When should I use the Hire Form?Use the Hire Form to add a job for an existing employee
Use the Hire Form to hire employees into positions for the following categories:
- Hourly (requires time report)
- Temp Pool
- Religious Order
- Non-BC student
- Grad Student (9 Ledger only)
- Resident Assistant
When should I NOT use the Hire Form?
Do not use this form for the following functions:
- To hire a graduate student who is not paid by an agency account (non 9 ledger) [use UBUY - for instructions, please see the UBUY Financial Aid web site (http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/enmgt/ubuyfa)]
- To hire an undergraduate student, except a Resident Assistant [use UBUY - for instructions, please see the UBUY Financial Aid web site (http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/enmgt/ubuyfa)]
- To transfer a current employee from one job to another [use the Employee Change Request Form]
Is there any additional information I may need to complete the Hire Form?
To complete the Hire Form it is helpful to have UIS screens DEPT and POSN (found under LOOK menu, then under Office Systems) for position information.
How do I obtain the Hire Form?
The Hire Form is available on the Human Resources website:
- Chose "Managers" on the left side of the HR website
- Select "HR Forms & Documentation"
- Select "Hire Form"
- Input the necessary information into the form
The Hire Form can also be obtained from an HR Service Center Representative in the HRSC in Room 100, 129 Lake Street.
What do I do when I have finished completing the Hire Form?
Upon completion of the Hire Form, please:
- Check all information carefully
- Print the completed form (form prints best if margins are set at 0.5" for all sides)
- Sign and date the form
- Make a copy for your records
- Check the Authorizing Signatures Section of these Hire Form Instructions to see where to send the completed Hire Form.
Whom do I call if I have questions?
Please call either the applicable employment office or an HRSC Representative at (617) 552-HRSC.
Instructions for Completing the Hire Form
Check all of the following that apply:
Monthly, Weekly (salaried), Hourly (requires time report), Temp Pool, Religious Order, Non-BC Student, Graduate Student (9-Ledger only) and Resident Assistant (graduate or undergraduate student).
Check box if this person is currently employed by Boston College (this indicates an additional job for this employee)
Please check the box if this person is a current employee because this action can impact a number of employment-related factors including:
- Benefits eligibility
- Benefits Base
- Necessity of completing tax forms and Personal Data Form (since they should already be on file)
- The upholding of federal wage and hour laws
Checking this box indicates that this is an additional job for this employee.
Has this person previously been employed by Boston College?
Indicate "Yes" if this person has previously been employed by Boston College.
Indicate "No" if this person has not previously been employed by Boston College.
If yes, what type of employment was it?
If "Yes," please select one of the following to show what type of previous BC employment this person had:
- Student employee
- Full-time employee/faculty member
- Part-time employee/faculty member
- Temporary pool
Month and year previous BC employment ended.
- Please use mm/yyyy format
Benefits related to years of service, seniority and benefits eligibility will be affected.
Last Name, First Name, Middle Initial
Enter the person's last name, first name, and middle initial as it appears on his/her social security card.
Social Security Number
List the 9-digit number as it appears on the employee's social security card.
- This is required as a condition of employment. If the employee does not have a social security number please direct him/her to a local Social Security Office (207 Harvard Street, Brookline, MA). For other locations, contact (800) 772-1213
Select one from the following menu to confirm the employee's citizenship status.
- Alien Perm
- Alien Temp
- Native (US)
Please note that the Hire Form cannot be processed without an entry in this field.
Enter the name of the department this person is being hired into.
Enter the 6-digit department number of the department this person is being hired into.
II. Job and Compensation Information (use the back button to return to the form)
To change the characteristics of this position, first complete a Create/Update Position Form.
Information provided within this section must match current position information. Use UIS screens DEPT and POSN (found under the LOOK menu, then under Office Systems) to view position information.
Effective Hire/Rehire Date
Enter the date (mm/dd/yyyy) on which the employee begins on the payroll.
Select "Hire" or "Rehire."
- A "Hire" is a person who is being hired for the first time at Boston College.
- A "Rehire" is a person who previously worked at and terminated from Boston College. Rehire information will be used to determine benefits eligibility
Select one from the following list:
- Regular full-time employee/faculty member
- Regular part-time employee/faculty member
- Temporary position (position approved for a finite period of time - includes all Contract/Grant positions)
- Temporary Pool position (Office/Clerical, Dining, B&G Temp Pools)
- Student employee (graduate or undergraduate)
For Temporary and Temporary Pool positions, indicate position end date
Enter Month/Day/Year for position end date if this is a Temporary or Temporary Pool position.
- Temporary pool positions can be extended as needed through the Employee Change Request Form accompanied by a budget transfer
- Temporary position extensions require appropriate approval
Probationary Period End Date
Probationary period applies only to regular full-time and part-time employees. Please calculate the Probationary Period End Date as indicated below:
- Monthly paid employees = 6 months from date of hire
- Hourly and weekly paid employees = 4 months from date of hire
- For employees covered by collective bargaining agreements see the relevant collective bargaining agreement
For details on the probationary period refer to the Employment Policies and Procedures section of the Employee Handbook (http://www.bc.edu/offices/hr/resources/handbook.html). For details on the probationary review refer to the Compensation Section (http://www.bc.edu/offices/hr/resources/handbook/hbk-compsal.html) of the Employee Handbook.
See POSN on UIS for your department's approved position numbers and enter the 8-digit position number in the box.
See POSN on UIS for the approved position title and enter it in the box.
Job Code Number
Enter the 6-digit job code number. This can also be found on UIS on the POSN screen.
Select one from the following list:
- A - Full-Time Administrator
- B - Part-Time Admin. (Benefits or Non)
- E - Emeritus
- F - Full-Time Hourly
- G - Graduate Assistant
- H - Part-Time Hourly (Benefits)
- M - Full-Time Faculty
- N - Non-BC Student
- P - Part-Time Faculty
- S - Student
- T - Temp Pool
- U - Union
- W - Full-Time Weekly
- X - Executives
- Y - Part-Time Monthly (No Benefits)
- Z - Part-Time Hourly (No Benefits)
Complete all information for the appropriate pay type:
- Hourly Pay Type (requires time report) - hours/week, weeks/year, hourly pay rate
- Weekly Pay Type - hours/week, weeks/year, weekly pay rate
- Monthly Pay Type - hours/week, months/year, monthly pay rate
This is the date that this line of distribution begins.
This is the date that this line of distribution ends.
Ledger and Account Number
For positions paid from a single source:
- Record the 1-digit Ledger Number and 5-digit Account Number.
Enter the 3-digit subcode
Enter the 3-digit earnings code
For positions funded from multiple sources:
- Enter effective dates ("From" and "To") of funding for each line of distribution
- Record 1-digit Ledger Number and 5-digit Account Number, 3-digit subcode, and 3-digit earnings code for each funding source
- If the number of distribution lines exceeds 5, please use the "Comments" section to record the additional sources
Percent(s) (%) of Comp. funded by the Account(s)
Enter the percentage of salary each account should be charged.
- The total of the percentages must equal 1"00%"
IV. Comments (use the back button to return to the form)
Use this optional Comments section to record information relevant to the hire action which is not otherwise covered.
Use this optional Comments section to record additional funding sources (exceeding the 5 lines given above in the Job Earnings Distribution of Compensation section).
Does this position qualify for Benefits?
- Select "Yes - Basic Benefits (BC1)" if the position is benefits-eligible
- Select "No - No Benefits (NOB)" if the position does not meet criteria for benefits
- Select "No - Part-time Faculty (PTF)" if the position is for a part-time faculty member
Annual Benefits Compensation Base
The Annual Benefits Compensation Base is used to calculate certain benefits such as Life Insurance premiums.
- In most cases, a person's Annual Benefits Compensation Base will be the same as the annual compensation for the above position. If this is true, the Annual Benefits Compensation Base will be automatically calculated by the PeopleSoft system and it is NOT necessary to calculate or note it here.
- This box ONLY needs to be completed if the Annual Benefits Compensation Base will be different from the annual compensation for the position. This will be true if a person has more than one benefits-eligible position at the University. Please total the annual compensation of all benefits-eligible positions that the person holds to reach the Annual Benefits Compensation Base and note its correct amount in the box.
The Service Date was formerly known as the "Seniority Date." The Service Date in PeopleSoft is used to calculate a person's length of Benefits Eligible Service. This calculation drives certain benefits calculations such as Employer Retirement Plan Contributions.
- In cases where a person is not being rehired within 2 years of the termination date of his/her prior benefits-eligible employment with Boston College, the Service Date will be the same as the Effective Hire Date for the above position. The Service Date will automatically be populated by the PeopleSoft system and it is NOT necessary to note it here.
- This box ONLY needs to be completed if the person is being rehired within 2 years of the termination date of his/her prior benefits-eligible employment with Boston College. To calculate the Service Date in this instance please refer to the following example and its explanation:
- Previous Benefits-eligible Service Date was………...05/01/1995
Termination Date was……………………...............……...08/31/1998
Rehire date into benefits-eligible position is….…....06/01/2000
- Previous Benefits-eligible Service Date was………...05/01/1995
Total the number of months between their Previous Benefits-eligible Service Date and their Termination Date:
- 05/01/1995 through 08/31/1998 entitles the person to 40 months of prior benefits-eligible service at Boston College.
Subtract the number of months between those dates (Previous Benefits-eligible Service Date and Termination Date) from their Rehire date to get the adjusted Service Date:
- 06/01/2000 - 40 months = 02/01/1997
Note the adjusted Service Date in the box:
For calculation purposes, a person hired on or before the 15th of the month receives credit for that month, and a person who terminates on or after the 16th receives credit for that month.
Enter the name and extension of the person who completed this form.
Where do I send the form?
Hire forms for positions funded by restricted accounts (ledgers 4, 5, and 6) should be forwarded to the appropriate financial office who will then forward the hire form to the applicable employment area. This also applies to positions funded from more than one ledger (e.g. 5 ledger and 2 ledger split) The applicable financial area is determined by the first digit of the nine-digit account number
- Ledger 4, 6 - Restricted Funds Controller's Office
- Ledger 5 - Contracts and Grants Office
- Please forward all other completed Hire Forms to the applicable employment area:
- FT/PT Faculty: Academic Vice President's Office
- Non-Faculty Staff: Human Resources
- Non-BC Students: Student Services